Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80e 2wd to 4wd conversion...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Jul 20, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I may be picking up a 2wd version 4l80e for my truck here to run while I rebuild my current 4l80e. It looks like I just unbolt the tail housing and the t-case adapter will bolt right up to the tranny like normal, but would I have to change tail shaft? I've never done this before but I assume I would... Would this be a dealer item? Do I have to tear the whole tranny apart to change it? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Yes , you do have to take the whole thing apart to change out the shaft. I looked into this a while back and found there are a few out-put shaft lengths offered and some of them are very close deminsions so watch out ( don't just eye-ball it ) . A TH400 shaft will fit as long as the length is correct .
    If memeory serves me right most 2WD 4L80E's use a bolt on yoke so the length is usually fairly short ( close to the 4WD versions ) . I would spend some quality time at your favorite GM dealer comparing part numbers for different applications to find out what fits . Good luck , Tom