Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4L80E Rebuild Kit Differences

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by longbedder, Feb 13, 2011.

1. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know there are some differences in 4L80E transmissions through the years, (like fore or aft cooling, etc.).

Why is a rebuild kit for an early model $125 less than a kit for the late model ('97-'06)? What extra/different parts would be in the late kit?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-278800/
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-278805/

Oh, and would any of you suggest a rebuild kit other than TCI?

2. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

No clue. But I'll tell you what... that's what lets those shops get away with charging $2200 for a rebuild; it's the fact that it's all clouded in mystery and does take some training to know what is and is not needed for a trans rebuild.

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Late models had non servicable clutch apply pistons in the drums. You take the old one out, trash it, & put a new one in.

Early 4l80's were like T-400's they had an alum piston that had seals around the outside & the inside that had to be changed.

There are a lot of other changes but that is the one that I think would affect rebuild price.

Are you considering building it yourself?

4. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yup.

5. boz42

Cool. I just rebuilt mine last month. If you got any questions, just post them here. I'll keep an eye out.

6. bailey9r

bailey9r 1/2 ton status

ah...but you forgot to mention if it now works:haha:

naw just kidding, I got the impression that was some complicated task, how would you rate it next to a 400 or even a 700?:dunno:

7. boz42

The 4l80 is basically a 400 with OD. The lower gear unit, center support, forward & direct drums are almost identical to the 400's parts. Some of the parts will interchange. The 4l80 adds an overdrive unit, a wiring harness, & some sensors. But it lost the vacuum modulator & a govenor.

I have never rebuilt a 700 so I can't campare it to that. IMO it is not much harder than building a 400.

I am no trans guru. I live about an hour from a decent sized metro area, considering that you would think we would have some good trans service places, but I have yet to find one. Lack of high end rebuilders made me refuse to pay someone to build it for me when I felt I could do a good job. TCI is local but that was out of my budget.

The hardest part about building a trans is getting good info. It takes some research & homework. ATSG manuals only go so far. A good trans builder knows tricks that can only be learned from years of experience.

8. cuervo

cuervo Wears Boob Goggles! Premium Member

And boy do they want you to pay for that. :eek1:

I priced a 700r rebuild kit at under $100 bucks and the guy at the shop wanted $1200 if I took the tranny out.

A friend of mine knew a dude that did them at home so I took it over there. He said $400 plus any hard parts that need to be changed out. I ask when would he know about the hard parts and said do you have a minute. Sure I do. That dude took the entire 700 about in less then 5 minutes then said, $400 bucks. Had it done the same day.

9. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Call this guy

http://www.jakesperformance.com/Home_Page.html

I've bought from him and so has my brother, good guy to deal with. He'll sell you a kit with the right parts for your power level. And you will need the 4th clutch piston install tool. And dual feed the direct clutches too, it's pretty much free and strengthens 3rd gear almost double. Read the mods to the TH400, because many of them are the same for the 4L80E.

Also, a lot of the upgrades for the TH400 come FROM the 4L80E. Wider front band w/ servo(for stronger manual 2nd engine braking), more abundant sprag type direct drums, thinner int pressure plate for easier installation of 4 clutches in the intermediate, etc.

10. ZukiJohn

ZukiJohn 1/2 ton status

subscribed, Will be rebuilding my 4l80e soon....

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck Premium Member

I've heard of Jakes performance. He's a regular on a huge Z-28 site that I sometimes checkout.