Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4L80E retrofit in 86 Diesel Burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblock454, Feb 2, 2003.

1. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Does the 4L80E have the same output shaft as the Th400? I am thinking of swaping in a 4L80E/NP208 in place of my TH400/NP208. Anyone know what the stand alone GM tranny controller costs?

2. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

Contact Jet Performance. I bought my tranny and controller from them. They were significantly cheaper than TCI.
    www.jetchip.com

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

cool, will the 4l80e bolt to my NP208 without modifications since I have the th400 version?

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its the same input gear on the 208 - 32-spline.

This is the later 4L80E/NP241 adapter. If yours is the same thickness, then they will bolt together.
    4L80E/NP241 adapter

5. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

What u2slow said.

Took out my NP-833 (4 spd manual OD) 32 spline, installed the 4l80e and bolted the NP208 right on it. TH400 and 4l80e are cousins.

You could also try to find a tranny controller from a truck with a 6.5 TD instead of buying an aftermarket, though the aftermarket units do look sweet (I think you would need an early 90's unit, not sure).

The only other caveat is that the 4l80e is a little longer (about an inch if I recall correctly). The crossmember will need to be moved back (easy), the 208 shifter rod lengthened (used a piece of DOM welded in for mine), and possibly a mount fabbed (I had to any way). The rearward motion compensated nicely for the lift with the rear driveshaft, but I had to have the front shaft lenghtened.

For my mount, I used the factory 4l80e mount and put in a piece of square receiver tubing between that and the crossmember. You'll need to make sure you measure and keep thinks at the same height and centering as before.

6. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

What's the part # on that bad boy!!!!.........CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I don't know the part number... took the pic while I worked at a GM wrecking yard. We had literally at least a dozen of them at any given time. Very common. Found on the back of almost any 4L80E 4x4 application.

8. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

The pic you have posted, Is the adapter from the 92 & up body style ?

Thanks

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey <font color="blue"> BBlue </font>, What's this NP-833? I never heard of it. Can you tell me more, it may be something I'm looking for.
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

The NP-833 is a 4speed OD trans. No creeper gear &amp; roughly 30% OD in 4th. Worked well in low to moderate powered vehicles, but are prone to input bearing failure under HD usage. They are a variation of the 4 speeds that Chrysler High Performance cars from the 60's, but with different gear ratios. Unfortunately they downsized the input shaft &amp; bearings when they converted this trans to OD making it weaker. Had one of these in a '82 6.2 diesel Tk. They worked OK until I put a 350 in it &amp; it would ruin the input bearing (junk metric part)every 6 months or so. Power shifts (factory Hurst shifter) would also rip the teeth off of the cluster gear. I still have 2 broken ones laying around here. Fortunately the TH 400 replaced it easily with only an adadper change.... just hated the 4mpg loss.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The pic you have posted, Is the adapter from the 92 &amp; up body style ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but I think its the same since '85... also used between TH400/NP208.

12. bigbluek20

Wow... you hit it on the nose... description, 82 diesel, 350 swap, input bearing on its way out (I got over 40k with the 350, though), great gas mileage, etc.

Only thing I would add is that that baby shifted like a dream... especially compared to a 465 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

It was referred to in the GM tech manuals as the "89mm". I refer to it as "in the way and going to the junk yard soon" (tranny, that is).

13. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

If you like the trans fix it..... I could remove, rebuild &amp; replace it in 6hrs (with practice). The bearing is less than $40 from a good bearing supplier &amp; pressing it on about $10. You can disassemble the trans yourself, but it can get a little ugly without a manual. (lots of needle bearings that are loose in there after removing the cluster &amp; input shaft)

14. bigbluek20

I've rebuilt one manual tranny before... you're right about needing the manual!

However, I have already fixed it... ala 4l80e paired with the vortec 454 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif