Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4L80E swap questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I keep destroying 700R4 transmissions. So I want to get something that won't break. I have always planned on swapping to a 4L80E, but I am thinking now might be the time as I have a vehicle to drive while the K5 is down, I am making decent money, and I am paying little to no rent because I am doing alot of manual labor for the parents.

I know I will need a stand alone computer for the transmission and it runs about $600. Did they make a 4L80 without the E? Do they make one on the aftermarket?

Questions:

#1: How do I adapt the 4L80E to an NP 208 case?

#2: will I have problems with clearnece between the tub and transmission with no body lift?

#3: Will the shifter linkage from my column and the 4L80E work without problems?

#4: Does the 4L80E have the same style rear transmission mount as a 700R4?

I know that the driveshafts will need shortened and lengthened. What else will I need to do a swap like this? Who has done it? What do I need to know? Thank you

Harley

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

#1: How do I adapt the 4L80E to an NP 208 case?
    -You need a 208 that was behind a th400

#2: will I have problems with clearnece between the tub and transmission with no body lift?
    -Nope, the 4l80 the same size around as the th400, but longer.

#3: Will the shifter linkage from my column and the 4L80E work without problems?
    -Depends on what you had in your truck to start with, but its an easy fix with some rod and a welder.

You need a computer to control it, depending on your truck you need a throtle position snesor and vehice speed sensor.

Getting ready to do this swap ito a diesel.

3. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status