Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4L80E swap, shift linkage???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 74kay5, Oct 29, 2006.

1. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a 4L80E along with my 6.0L a while back and haven't tried to put it into gear until now. I had to relocate the mount on the frame that the linkage rotates on, lengthen the main rod that goes to the column, and of course relocate the crossmember. When I try to put the truck into gear it makes a griding sound. Even when I try to put it back into park, it does the same thing and I have to jiggle it to get it to stop making that aweful sound. Do I just need to keep tweeking the linkage to get it to shift right? Anyone with a 4L80E swap have this problem?

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Ill be doing my swap in the next few weeks, but it almost sounds like the t-case is in neutral. other than that, disconnect the linkage, put the trans in park manually (on the transmission, so you know its lined up) then adjust and reinstall the shifter. You could also have a bad transmission.

3. 74kay5

74kay5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I had the T-case in neutral. I had the truck sitting so long, I didn't even think about it. I'll try messing it with it tomorrow to see if there's still a problem.