Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80e to a 205 tcase??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Runamuck, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Runamuck

Runamuck Newbie

Any one know what's invoved mating a 4L80e to a 205 transfer case (1981 tcase taken from a 400turbohydr trans)??

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a 2x4 fixed yoke 4l80-e that i just had a 1 1/4" alum spacer made to bolt it together. worked great.this also helps the cv head clearence problem to the tranny pan. my frt shaft clears no problem. but need to get the 4x4 oil passege plug and replace the plug with the pin hole for the solid one its about 5 dollers at dealer. and its at the 3ockl position.

205 spacer.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One way to go about it (short of what you have now) is to get a setup from a '90-91(?) pickup, since the 4L80E and 205 were mated together.

I've got one as a matter of fact, but the output shaft and adapter are both broken. Input shaft is 32 spline and mates up to my later SM465. :)

4. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I remember back in 1994 I mated a 4l80e to a 205.I did this without even realizing that GM did it(like dyeager said) in 91. The 205 was from a 85 with a turbo 400. If I remember correctly I had to take about 1/2 inch off the 4l80e shaft and some slight machine work to the oring groove was done to the adapter so that the large o ring between trans and adapter could fit right. I remember calling Advance at the time and they didnt know much but I remember being concerned about cutting the shaft down and losing some spline engagement but whatever(I cant remember anymore) the remainigr length after the cut was was plenty for strength according to them. I had it in a a 85 0ne ton dually cab in chasis and It worked great.

5. Runamuck

Runamuck Newbie

Thanks for the info.... 3 great responses!!

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What did you cut the shaft with?

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

torch .... :D
    J/K

8. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I was too lazy to dissassemble the whole tranny to take out the shaft so I cut it while in the tranny. First I cut a piece of pipe that was about the same as the shaft. I cut this pipe just a little longer then the length I wanted my shaft to be cut at then I slipped it over the shaft. Then I cut off the shaft slowly with a chop saw flush with the pipe. Then I cleaned up the end with a grinder all the time making sure I didnt heat up the shaft too much.