Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80E trans upgade or a hassle??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1tonblazer93, Aug 21, 2002.

1. 1tonblazer93

1tonblazer93 Registered Member

has anyone with a 91 or newwer blazer, or 1/2 ton truck try converting to the 4l80E tran, I have spent close to $800. With speed scene wiring, I have returned their harness three times, The truck wouldn't shift the first time,the second time The motor ran like pop!I am now waiting for new *repaired* harness /forums/images/icons/confused.gif any help would be kool /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I thought GM made a standalone harness for the 4L80E?

If anything, I would go with theirs. I'm assuming the V series trucks with 4L80E had a standalone system anyways. (and diesels, and HMMWV's)

3. 1tonblazer93

1tonblazer93 Registered Member

yeah i heard GM made one but that would leave me doin the splicing, and the computer issue? i would still have to send it off to be recalibrated and new p.r.o.m chip! /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. dyeager535

Like I said, I thought the GM setup was a complete standalone harness. Basically plug it in to the tranny, give it power, and you are set.

Not sure how well it works, but I kind of doubt any standalone setup works very good without all the sensors that the stock ones used, including TPS. That is of course, unless the 4L80E's stock didn't use those inputs, but I bet they did.

5. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

The last time I checked it was ~$850 for one from GM. It's cheaper if you know a guy behind the counter and is willing to sell it to you for dealer cost.

6. dyeager535

Or get the part number and check www.gmpartsdirect.com My local dealer apparently hates me based on the prices I'm quoted : )

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

haha

Most dealers like to stuff it to you. Some are decent and realize that you can get stuff for less going aftermarket or even going to a regular auto parts store. And a few like it when you buy a lot of stuff from them. The more money that travels through them the better off they are. Sometimes they charge me 10% but it's a lot better than the 40-80% they charge the average person. I replaced every body mount in my truck for less than I could get them via aftermarket. And I got all new cups. Plus, they're rubber so they ride a lot nicer than the neoprene/polyurethane ones. I got the chrome wheelwell trim for my truck for $50some and they all fit perfectly unlike aftermarket.

The dealership where I live now are a bunch of idiots. I don't even talk to them anymore. The last time I was there I told them "I'm going to order from downstate for two reasons. First, they're a lot more nice and will get me the part within two days and often later that day. Second, I can have it shipped up here cheaper than I can buy it from you."

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

PM azblazor - he has put a 4L80E in his '79 K5. Might be able to help ya......

9. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

You can always go with a standalone controller for the 4L80E, as I did. Jet Performance and TCI Transmission both make nice controllers. I went with the TCI unit as it is user programmable. If you like simplicity, go with the Jet computer. It comes pre-programmed.

Either one will need a Throttle Postion Sensor (TPS) signal to work, but I believe that both companies offer a kit to add a TPS to your truck. Beyond the TPS, all they require is a rpm signal along with a constant hot and switched hot. Very easy hookup.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm just curious, how much did the TCI one set you back?

11. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

The TCI ECM goes for about $850. I wouldn't have even posted about the thing, except that I saw your post about the OEM version going for the same price.

I figure, if you're going to throw down that kind of money, I'd rather have full programmablity and a cleaner, easier installation. They obviously aren't cheap, but are a very nice ECM.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Yeah, scrap that, if I ever get one I'm going to buy a TCI one. And for people that have to pay the full price of a GMPP one you might as well get the one made by TCI.

If I ever find a 4L80E cheap enough I'm going to tear it apart and find a service manual and see about building my own box. If it's like everything else GM has done it's not rocket science.

13. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

The 4l80E is a great tranny but it has some issues. There are 3 generations and the 3rd is the best.(99' up) It is longer and heavier than a 700/4l60 but it shares internal parts and design with the 400 (also known as a 3L80
    with no "E" on the end). It is without a doubt far stronger than a 700 but the added length and fact that the output shaft will not work with any 700/4l60 t-cases makes it a difficult swap. Then the computer issues come in.
    It's possible but difficult. The added length would be bad for drive angle in k5's but not Subs. Transcore1 Project Homepage

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

for us not 'in the know' what is the output spline count on the 4l80e?
    I cannot see anyone going out of their way to use a transfer case from a 700/4l60 application so that is a non issue in my mind
    if the 4l80 uses a 32 spline output it would be ripe for a 205

16. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Output spline count on the 4L80E is the same as TH400 - 32 splines. If you have a TH400 version of the NP205, it really is a pretty simple swap. I also agree with your comment about the t-case from a 700/4L60 application. Can't imagine why anyone would go that way if they are already going through the effort to beef up the transmission being used.

17. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

I agree, I was just letting him know that the trans is not all he would need. If he got the core and built it up he would have to address the t-case as well and couldn't get by with the unit behind his stock trans. A complete set up out of a late model with the t-case would be ideal but expensive. I payed $1000 for a dealership core with t-case a few months ago and it was wasted when we got it open. WOOPS Also some 4x4 models(Not sure which) have a drivers side forward output. I've seen the cores but don't know what they came out of.
    Scott Transcore1 K5 Project

18. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 4L80E in my 79 blazer. It runs off of the factory harness/computer along with the 454 TBI from a 94 1ton truck. My 79k5 4L80E is mated to a NP205 and its adapter from a TH400 with a spacer (32spline).

I am currently replacing a TH400 with 4L80E in my 86K30 (4wd 1ton) diesel (with NP205). I purchased a 4L80E (and its 241 transfer case and adapter) for 750. I am using a TCI computer and harness that I purchased (used) from another forum for 350. Of course on the diesel I have to have a standalone computer as the engine is not computer controlled.

19. azblazor

Do you have a web page for the aftermarket product you are using for a wiring harness?

Are they redoing your computer chip also?

Is their harness made to just plug into your 4L60E harness?

Please keep us posted - this is an interesting swap.

20. azblazor

Are you running a chevy or ford front D60 in your 93K5??