Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80e TV cable? the cable on the throttle, how to adjust?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, Jun 17, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well alright I started looking over my new 95 and noticed something. On the throttle bracket there are 2 things. One is the throttle cable and the other goes to a box on the firewall with a bunch of wires. Best I can figure this is the equivalent of a TV Cable on an electronic control transmission. Well that cable had slack in it at no throttle so I adjusted most of that out of it. The truck feels different but I can't tell if it feels better or not. It seemed to hold a few more RPMs in first gear I think.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you sure you didn't mess with the cruise control? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I don't think the new electronic transmissions have a TV cable. They use data from the TPS (Throttle Postion Sensor) instead. There is supposed to be slack in the cruise control cable, so that it doesn't restrict the throttle from returning to idle. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Uh... I was always aware that that module was the cruise control module? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah your right I didn't think of that. On the way home from the shop after getting my tranny flushed(drives better now) I was thinking about, wait what does the TPS do then? So I will adjust a bit more slack back into that. Thanks guys. I am gonna replace my thermostat with a 180 degree one and my cat with 3" straight pipe tonight. I think my cat is at least semi clogged cause the truck smells strongly of sulfur lately.

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Cool so you got ur new truck yeah my cat is really holding my truck back BADLY i need new true duals with headers

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep got my 95, and yeah I want headers and true dual but $$ tight since I have payments on her. I realized after passing a cop doing 55 a quiet exhaust can be a nice thing too. The new truck ahs calmed me down actually that was a rare time I was speeding and there happened to be a cop!

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am gonna replace my thermostat with a 180 degree one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure you want to do this? The FI system needs the higher temp thermostat to work right.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

everything I have read said TBI with 180 thermostat is a good idea. Performance improver only bad in really cold areas. That truck runs HOT too. The temp gauge doesn't read rael hot but you can't stand next to the fender after a good drive it puts off so much heat.