Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4L80E Whats it gonna take????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Corey 78K5, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So can a 4L80E/NP241 be used behind a carbed engine. If so what would it take to make it work?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

you could also try finding the controller from a non-computerized diesel truck. they came this way in 91 for sure, but not sure about years after that.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you could also try finding the controller from a non-computerized diesel truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So are we talking a 2500/3500 truck or are You talking about something else?

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are companies that make a programable aftermarket ECM control unit for the 4L80E; so that the 4L80E can be run behind a non-emissions engine, but they are not cheap.

These people have one...http://www.compushift.com/

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

From what I've seen of diesel transmissions behind gas engines, they shift way too early, FWIW.

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    you could also try finding the controller from a non-computerized diesel truck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif So are we talking a 2500/3500 truck or are You talking about something else?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, I should have been more specific...I know for a fact in 1991 that the V30 got the 4l80e, which replaced the TH400. This is the only year for the 4l80e/NP205 combo. If you got the 6.2 diesel in one of these trucks, the transmission had a standalone controller since there is no ecm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There are companies that make a programable aftermarket ECM control unit for the 4L80E; so that the 4L80E can be run behind a non-emissions engine, but they are not cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well since I got the tranny for free I could afford to fork over some cash for a controler.

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry, I should have been more specific...I know for a fact in 1991 that the V30 got the 4l80e, which replaced the TH400. This is the only year for the 4l80e/NP205 combo. If you got the 6.2 diesel in one of these trucks, the transmission had a standalone controller since there is no ecm

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah those should be a dime a dozen /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think the aftermarket is My only hope.

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I was gung ho on doing this too one time.You need a tss signal and a bunch of other crap,kinda complicated.You need a stand alone computer as whell i do beleive. If you want overdrive, i would go with the 700, or a manual,Lots cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

4L80E has OD, it's an updated TH400 with OD and computer misguided. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

The TH700R4 has about 40 different wiring plans available inside /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You can probably make it work, the guys are supposed to be the same /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. darryl sr

darryl sr Newbie

any and i mean any ecm from 1991 to 1995 diesel or gas that controlled a 4l80e will work you need trans speed inputs engine speed tps roadspeed and power use the original plug ends and rewire i have helped do this and it works great on a carbed & stroked 454 if you go with a 700 you can go to pure hydraulic lockup and have no wiring problems

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    4L80E has OD, it's an updated TH400 with OD and computer misguided. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]He knows a 4L80 has OD, I think he meant that if OD is what Corey is after than a built th700 would be easier because obviously if OD wasn't the main reason for the swap he would just sell it and throw in a th400 and not have to deal with the headache of a 4l80 swap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Art Carr can set up a 4L80 to full manual w/ or W/O reverse vale body. But its not cheap to have them build it.

16. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]He knows a 4L80 has OD, I think he meant that if OD is what Corey is after than a built th700 would be easier because obviously if OD wasn't the main reason for the swap he would just sell it and throw in a th400 and not have to deal with the headache of a 4l80 swap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yep , plus a 700 built correctly will last just as long /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    He knows a 4L80 has OD, I think he meant that if OD is what Corey is after than a built th700 would be easier because obviously if OD wasn't the main reason for the swap he would just sell it and throw in a th400 and not have to deal with the headache of a 4l80 swap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well actually there are 4 reasons for going with the 4L80E.
    1) OD for fuel milage. Right now I pay $2.57 a gallon for reguler.
    2) It's going in My tow rig.
    3) My Wife cant drive a standard for sh!t.
    4) It's free. I got a 76 C-20 that I am gonna use for My tow rig. Im useing the 4L80E/NP241 from a donor 91 Suburban that I got. Im also useing the front axel and all the mounting brackets and cross members to convert it to four wheel drive. I figure what the hell I already have all the parts I just have to put it all together.