Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80e

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Jul 13, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

has annybody done a swap from 700r4 to 4l80e? how hard is it? the 4l80e is longer right? driveline issues? and what about running a doubler with it?
    dale

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've day dreamed about it. So, I didn't have any problems with drivelines or doublers. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Would be a cool setup I think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on daydreaming rocks /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gifi can build much cooler stuff in my head than i can afford /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was going to do the swap but its not cheap at all the computer for it is like $1100 and then you decide on if you wanna use a stock tranny of buy a built one. The 4L80E dosent have as low of a first gear compared to a 700R4 and if you plan on running a 208 or 241 with it you will need a adapter (im pretty sure a th400 adapter will work) It would be cool to do but will be around $2500 and that will be a basically stock trans if you want it built up the price just went WAY UP
    You can have a NICE 700R4 from BTO for around $1900 with a new converter and EVERYTHING you need and I can say they are very nice trans. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    BTW that price included shiping across the US

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

right on thats what im planing but the 4l80e sounds alot stronger and i like only haveing to spend that kind of money once /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    right on thats what im planing but the 4l80e sounds alot stronger and i like only haveing to spend that kind of money once /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    For a little over half of what you would have into a 4l80 swap you could build or buy a th700 to take almost anything you could dish to it. The main limitation of them is BIG HP and torque. If you aren't running a crazy big block than a built th700 will be fine and last a long time.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

It would cost way more than its worth. 4L80E is computer controled. You will need a control box and sensors so the tranny will work. Compusfift makes a control box and kit that adapts 4l80Es to older vehicles. They cost around $1300 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    You can get a GM 700r4 for that much
    Its a lot cheaper just to build a strong 700r4
    Besides the 700R4 has a lower 1st gear than a 4l80e

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    For a little over half of what you would have into a 4l80 swap you could build or buy a th700 to take almost anything you could dish to it. The main limitation of them is BIG HP and torque. If you aren't running a crazy big block than a built th700 will be fine and last a long time.

[/ QUOTE ] He is right . Me and Bobby have the same trans and mine totally is kick ass and strong(lamens terms)i dont worry anymore,lets put it that way.I used to worry but not after his guy put in that thing. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifjake