Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80e ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by odee1, Aug 10, 2004.

1. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

I have heard that the 91-90 model sub's may have came factory with the 4l80e is this true or rumor? How hard would it be to find one in a salvage yard? Wiring info on the unit that controls the tranny?

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Some 1991 3/4 tons did, yes. Specifically, 8600# GVWR units.

-- A

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Good luck finding one. I have only ever seen a couple factory 4L80E's in 91 Subs and they were still in running trucks. Never seen one in a yard. Don't mean it isn't possible to find one but it is a longshot at the very least.

Harley

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

may I ask why you want a 4l80E? I'm really not a fan of doing the swap to one myself. Big old heavy torque converter, crappy gears, expensive computer controls. I guess I'm not being helpful, just saying that for the cost of even a core 4l80e, wiring, and all the stuff you need, compard to a quality rebuild on a 700R4 I don't find it worth it.

5. Hossbaby50

A 4L80E is much stronger then a 700R4 is why it is a good idea for a swap. A stock 4L80E is as strong as a built 700R4 and a built 4L80E is way stronger then a built 700R4.

4L80E is basically a TH400 with an OD gear. It is the ultimate in auto tranny's. They are expensive but good things cost money.

Harley

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know, I hate all autos but chances are if it didn't come with a 4l80E or TH400, whatever is under the hood won't overpower a build TH700R4. If you do go the 4l80E route, replace the torque converter. The factory unit is BIG and HEAVY. My 95 K2500 was a DOG, slowest accelerating TBI 350 I've even been in, and it had 4.10 gears, what was the issue? Had a 4l80E backing that motor.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The above info about some 91 3/4's being available with it is correct. My burb has it /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. As a side note, 91 crewcab's were also available with it. If you were looking to do a swap into an earlier model, why not scrounge parts from an early 90's vehicle? They use the same engine. It is an awsome tranny.

8. Hossbaby50

Ya, but this the type of things people on this website do what are the chances the powerplant is stock? I am running a mild 350 w/TPI and my truck came stock with a carb 305.

BBC swaps are pretty regularly preformed around here. So are built SBC's. I like my 700R4 but if I had a nasty BBC under my hood I don't know if I would trust it. I would be looking to get a 400 or 4L80E. A 700R4 that was built might last for awhile but I would much rather trust a stronger trans.

Harley

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Call me "old fashion", but I still like the old Turbo 400. It is the toughest, and most reliable auto tranny ever made.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Call me "old fashion", but I still like the old Turbo 400. It is the toughest, and most reliable auto tranny ever made.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'ld have to say the new Allison has it beat hands down.

Sorry, just had to add that.

I would agree though that the TH400 is the strongest non computer controlled 3 speed tranny GM ever made. I would have to give the C-6 the award for the overall best 3 speed auto ever made though (for Domestic Trucks).

11. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Wiring info on the unit that controls the tranny?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just sold a 79 K5 w454 and a 4l80E in it. I am currently installing a 4l80E into a 78 SUb with a 6.2. I drive a 93 K2500 6.5TD w 4l80e. I used to have a 93 K2500 Sub w 454/4l80e and 200k on it. I like 4l80e's. You can actually use the following instructions to operate a 4l80e with manual switchs, etc. It will be at full line pressure though. I prefer to use a factory computer, but I may try a switch setup this time. There is a guy on the diesel page who runs a 4l80E this way without problems. You just have to adapt your driving style /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

91-92 wiring and testing instructions:
    http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/general/tetdv/tetdv-c3h.htm

93-on wiring and testing instructions:
    http://www.atraonline.com/manuals/general/tetdv/tetdv-c3i.htm

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

From what I hear the Allison robs power though. IMO the 4L80E is the best thing GM has going for light duty vehicles. If the military saw fit to put it in humvee's and GM has been offering it for 15 years, and it still has the reputation that it has, I'd say its a winner. The only complaint I've heard is the torque converter issue, but thats not really the tranny's fault. My Burb has it and my mom's 03 2500 HD have it and they both perform flawlessly. I've heard its good in stock form to 750 HP. Anyone have any other complaints about the best damn tranny made?

13. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

I think I may have found a sub with this tranny and transfer case in it for a good price. I would soon buy this and put the parts into mine than to have to round up a 700 core to have built and a transfer for it also. My last two work trucks had the 4l80e in them without a problem with either.