Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4l80e

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Avery4jc, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys, I'm sure you are all growing tired of my Transmission woes but I have encountered some cool information along the way. The transmission that I blew up on the way to Pismo (you all know the story) was not in fact completley shot (still trying to figure out what happened). I fired it up the other day just to see if I could even move it and to my surprise it not only moved but it ran ok. I took it for a spin around town and everything works except if you really get into it it'll slip a little and 2nd feels a bit weak but this opens up a new door for me....

My initial goal was to do some other work this summer but after this happened I set a goal for myself to get the transmission fixed and get 5.13's put in my axles which would not only help performance but also keep me from frying another tranny. I wanted to get this all done before school started because I need to use the truck to get to school which is all the way across town (walking isn't an opiton). Now that I know that it limps around and could last a few months of street driving I am thinking about waiting until I can save up for a nicer tranny. One thing that came to mind that I think would be bad ass is a 4L80E since I don't see a lot of guys around here running them. My research has been interesting and I thought I would share...

I found this article that might be a good read for you all, I found it very interesting. It gives details on a stand alone electronic computer that will run a 4L80E controlling shift points, lockup and a number of other things. The cool thing is is that the setup on it is simple, not even requiring a computer. The throttle is opened up from closed to WOT and that's basically it. Have a look.

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/compushift101.pdf

This is a very pricey alternative but I think it would be a worty investment. The company that I have been looking at is here...

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/gmtrans.html

Another option is a 4L60E that they offer capable of handling 400 horsepower designed for off-road and towing which would be perfect for my needs. Basically I'm lookiing at about $3,500+ to do it (which is what my truck cost!) so I wanted to get some opinions on the subject. Look into this or should I get 5.13's and a rebuilt second generation 7004r which between the two would probably run me under $2,000.

-Avery

2. Avery4jc

3. Avery4jc

Since I seem to just be having a conversation with myself I did a search and found that it might not be worth my time and money for what I do. Looks like Greg runs one but that's about it.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/search.php?searchid=340123

Ok, thanks for the help Avery...

Not a problem man.

-Avery

4. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Ill be running one in a gew months but the compushift controller is like 1000-1100 so I will be running the TCI controller

5. Avery4jc

WOW someone else is really reading this thread. lol

I saw you pop up in many of the search threads on the subject so I figured you were planning on running one. Because of the length what TC are you going to run? I think a doubler is out of the quesiton.

-Avery

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

If I ever burn my slightly-beefed 700R4 up, it'll be one of these that replaces it. In the meantime, I run both temperature & pressure gauges, adequate cooling, and a properly adjusted TV cable.

7. Avery4jc

I am planning on ordering a Tach and a Temp. guage for my tranny soon but why the pressure guage?

-Avery

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Im going to run a 241 with a SYE. Since the 4l80 is 3 inches longer and SYE cuts 6 off, I will be gaining length on both shafts! I dont think a doulbler would be too bad if you had a c/v shaft in the back.

9. Avery4jc

Cool, I am really interested in that 6 speed if I had more money but I think to be realistic I'm just going to get a mildly beefed 700R4 w/ tranny cooler and temp guage to keep an eye on stuff. That way I can keep my TC, Drive Shafts and all stock linkage, etc.

Oh, by the way you have 999 Posts! Come back and make it 1,000!

-Avery

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

I'll tell you why I run a trans pressure gauge: Because almost all auto trannies vary their line pressure with the amount of load that's being sent through them (which they roughly estimate from the throttle position at the moment).

They might get that throttle info from a TV cable (like the 700R4), a Throttle Position Sensor (like the 4l60E), or in a more vague way with a vacuum modulator (like a TH350). All of those can be misadjusted or hooked up incorrectly, usually by an amateur that doesn't have a shop manual or setup directions (or just can't be bothered to read the instructions).

Insufficient pressure, expecially under a heavy load, can leave the trans running without enough pressure to keep the clutch plates from slipping and slowly grinding themselves to paste in the pan under hard-throttle acceleration or tugging a trailer up a hill. The factory shop manual has pressure test charts for OEM trannies, and aftermarket remanufacturers should have pressure charts for their own particular builds (example at TCI).

Some full-manual and'or full-race builds just run full pressure all the time, but that's just extra work for the pump to do if you don't need that full pressure (idling, light steady cruising, and so forth).

The 700R4 is prone to amateur-wrench error in the TV Cable misadjustment department, because of the "but I thought it was just a kickdown cable" mindset, or because of the "I did the swap on a budget, and didn't want to buy the TV cable bracket that Edelbrock told me I needed" skinflint attitude. Never enough money to do it right, but always enough to fix all the screwups (an old story).

Anyway, a couple of gauges and sending units (to clue you in to something being out of range and the transmission heading for catastrophic failure) is a lot cheaper and easier than an unscheduled rebuild! :waytogo:

11. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

This is my advice. Fix the damn transmission that is already in your truck, sell the damn thing, and then buy a 1-ton pick-up, which already has heavy-duty 1-ton running gear in it. This would make your life so much easier because you would already have a killer platform to start a worthwhile project build up with. Your puny little 1/2-ton is not worth all the fantasies you have in mind for it. :D

This is the philosphy I subscribe to, which is why my user name is 1-ton. Observe...these are my trucks.

1991 V3500 with a 350/4L80E/NP205/Dana-60/14-bolt Corp. No need to change any of this trucks drive gear (except maybe the engine to 454).
    [​IMG]

1985 K30 with a 454/Turbo 400/NP205/Dana-60/14-bolt Corp. No need to change any of this trucks drive gear.
    [​IMG]

12. Avery4jc

*sigh* you are right 1 ton. I have just gotten so attached to this truck that I really wanted to stick with it. Especially because the engine runs strong and the truck has NO rust at all.

What do you guys think I could get out of it? You all know the truck but if not check out my website in the sig. If I could get $3,500+ for it then I could pay off my parents (owe them $1200) and get a little toyota for my daily driving needs. Then save up and do it right. Tuff lesson to learn but what can I say, I wish I knew then what I know now and I wouldn't have bought it.

-Avery

13. 1-ton

That is a bad thing to get attached to a vehicle, which is not what you really really want. If you buy yourself a 1-ton you will find yourself attached to that as well I am sure.

You could fix the truck you have, and keep it, but you will just have to remember because it is a 1/2-ton, it has limitations.

14. Avery4jc

true that, true that.

I am now on the 12:42 at night hunt for a one ton!

Off to ebay!

Oh, by the way I checked out your gallery and that v3500 is sick. Is there a thread build up of it?

Mine hauls two people, yours hauls 5
    Mine is 1/2 ton, yours is 1 ton
    Mine is well to say the least not functional off road, yours is.

The pieces of the 1 ton puzzle are falling into place in my head.

-Avery

15. 1985_K5_Silverado

If only GM had rolled a 1-ton version of the K5 out the door, with 1-ton running gear on a stubby 1-ton frame.

16. Avery4jc

yeah that would be sick. The problem that I have encountered with my truck is space. It is nice to have a bed and all but I would much rather have more interior space (k5 for example). I hate to admit it and I have thought about it before but it really isn't my "dream" truck. I think I just got so attached to it because it was my first vehicle.

Originally my plan was to get a 454SS and had no intention of going off-road but after I woke up from that dream I realized that a K5 was for me but cash was burning a whole in my pocket and long story short that's how I ended up with my K10.

On a side note I have realized that there aren't many V3500's for sale online 1-ton.

-Avery

17. 1-ton

Mine actualy hauls 6, which is why it has a tag on the side, which says "3+3"

That is correct

Actually a Crew Cab is not the best chioce for serious off roading because of the long wheel base. Trucks with long wheel bases high center easily.

A 1-ton single cab pick-up is the way to go (either SRW or DRW). It will have heavy duty running gear, and a short enough wheel base to wheel hard. 1-ton Duallies are actually a little easier to find, and they can be converted over to SRW hubs, so you can put wide agressive off road tires on it. Luckily you live in the South West, so it will be much easier to find one.

18. Avery4jc

yeah, thats true 6 people. The wheeling thing is true for you guys but not for what I do. I'm in the sand and mud, that's it and I don't really have any desire to go to any trails that I couldn't get a crew cab long bed through.

-Avery

19. 1985_K5_Silverado

Crossover steering is something GM could have put on those 1-ton K5 trucks (that they never produced), or any of the SFA trucks, even the 1-tons. Not only for better off-roadability in heavy flex situations, but also for on-road improvement in the bump-steer department.

Factory hydro assist would also have been good, and with a big enough pump to retain quick steering.

At any rate, you can always buy a K5 that has 1-ton running gear, an EFI 454, crossover and hydro assist, a full cage, and a whole lot of other great stuff that somebody else poured their BS&T into, and will sell you for about $5-8K. Here is an example of a sweet deal that I considered driving 500 miles to scope out:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177111

(I think he may have sold it)

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

BINGO!