Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4runner vs. Diesel Jetta

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DavidB, Jul 4, 2006.

1. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I thought there was a forum for "other" rides??

My wife has a nice '98 4runner. I like it, it's versatile and 4x4.

But I'm thinking about getting rid of it and getting a diesel Jetta like BAJA_BLAZER. I can get diesel for $1.89 in Mex and they get 30-50 mpg. Kinda hard to pass up. Anyone else have experience with them?

2. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Damn, I clicked on this hoping there was a video of something stupid:doah:

3. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

My bad. Hold on, I'll go do a vid of me running over a Jacuzzi with my K30. :D

4. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Gimme a day or 2. Might have some 4th blowing stuff up vids too.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My buddy just got an 06 Jetta TDI. He loves it. Gets great mileage(upper 40s when hes nice on the throttle), has more spunk than I would have guessed. He straight piped it already(removed the resonator and muffler). It sounds nice. Just need to figure out a way to remove the damn cat, the darn thing is part of the turbo downpipe and uses an odd flange.

I was excited when I saw they brought back the Rabbit, but they don't come in TDI yet. I'd heavily consider it just to say I have a Diesel Rabbit, and have a warranty, and a nice car...

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had one....

I regret selling my 86 VW Jetta Diesel....it got 43 mpg at the very least--I never got less MPG than that with it,ever!..its engine was a lot more durable than I thought too....mine had 252,000 miles on it when the timing belt snapped while idling one cold winter day--I heard awful noises of parts that should never touch each other colliding as it stalled,and when I tried to start it again:doah: --then after I found the belt had stripped its cogs,I simply bought a new one for 13.99 at AutoZone,and learned quick how to install one!..to my suprise it not only ran again(!!), I put another 5000 miles on it before I decided I was tired of being treated like a golf cart on the freeway,and decided to part with it--.

Mine was pretty peppy,for having only 52 hp!--but a diesels low end torque makes up for the low hp..I drove a gas powered VW similar to mine,and I felt the diesel had better acceleration,the gas motor was doggy until you got it wound up to 3 grand,just the opposite of the diesel..

Now that fuel is 3 bucks a gallon,I consider selling it one of my biggest mistakes so far...it was rust free,(but had faded paint),and needed only exhaust and struts to be in great shape again....only thing I ever had to fix was the brakes, and replace the brand new clutch the last owner installed--the disc lost its anti-chatter springs!..I'll say this,doing the clutch SUCKED,I'd rather do one on a GM 4x4 than a Jetta again!...everything on a VW has allen head or torx bolts!!--you'll need some "weirdo" tools to fix certain things on them,but they are fairly easy to repair...:crazy: