Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4spd or auto?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Jan 28, 2004.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 K5 that currently has a 350/th350/203 combo. i am in the middle of swapping in a 454, and would like to put either a th400 or an sm465 with it. obviously, the 400 would be the easiest, but I kinda like the idea of having the the extra low gear of the 465. My question is....if I went with a 4spd, would I have a lot of problems in mud, with mud and water or whatever else, getting inside the bellhousing? Does anyone else run this set-up in mud, and have any problems with it? It won't be used strictly for mud, but a little of everything. Also, if I go 4spd, would hydro or mechanical be best? Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Guys that strictly mud run don't like the manuals, you have to let up to shift, which means a loss of wheelspeed.

Can't comment on "light mud" duties, the clutch is just like the disk brakes, if it gets wet enough, it won't work right obviously, just depends how much time you spend buried up to the bottom of the bellhousing! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hydraulic is a better setup IMO, for numerous reasons.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I run my 4spd in mud all the time w/o any problems. I took out an auto and swapped in the 4spd and don't regret it at all...

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i daily drive my 86 with a 4 speed and it sees all sorts of duty.. ive had it in mud, deep water.. i love it.. if you're worried about wheelspeed in mud, hold it to the wood and dont shift.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ever hear a stock 350 with manifolds and true duals turn 6200?? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats better as far as a manual vs. auto...is like asking what came first, the chicken or the egg. That topic will be argued until the end of time because everyone has different opinions.

For mostly mud I would probably wan't an auto but if you know what your doing with a manual and make sure your already in the right gear before you hit the deep stuff then that works too. For rocks I would say the manual.

6. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm running an auto....guess i'm just getting lazy in my old age /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Manual all the way! I also replaced my TH400 for a SM465. They are bulit proof and you will never have to worry about it overheating like an auto. I run all kinds of trails with mud and water and have yet to have a problem.
    As far as linkage or hydro setups go.....just find a donor manual truck at the bone yard and grab the whole setup with pedals. I like the manual linkage setup cause you can always rig it to work on the trail if need be.

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I run an auto with a 2200 rpm stall convertor and rev limiter on the ignition,,when in the mud I just hold it to the floor and when she bump the limiter I just bang it into the next gear!!!

10. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

ok, thanks for all the input guys. i think I may go ahead and try the 4spd...now I just gotta try to find one, and all the pedals and linkage to go with it.

11. rvreddog

rvreddog Registered Member

I found out the hard way they aren`t bulletproof! I broke the output shaft on mine! Don`t get me wrong,I replaced it with another one that has held up just fine.I love that low gear,and it seems like the wheels and skinny pedal have a direct conection unlike the auto.Just my .02.