Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4spd. std/208 t-case...85 K5 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FastEddy, Feb 3, 2001.

1. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

Looking at a beat 85 k5 blazer for an off road only unit...nothing pretty, has orig powertrain, which is v8, 4spd std/208 case...heard a rumor that the 208 case from a standard trans will not accept an auto...eg. 700R4 from 87 $x4 suburban...is this true...what will I have to change to convert....Driveshafts? Thanks in advance...ED

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Not sure about the adapter bolt patters will match, but I'm pretty sure the shaft configuration between the tranny and t-case will be different. The guys at Advance Adapters should be able to help with that. I would guess you're lookin at changing shafts on one or the other, a different adapter, different driveshaft lengths, linkage issues, etc etc...all in all, it will probably be pricey. I run a 465/208 combo on my SWB, and I love it. You may be better off just running it the way it is now- It's hard to beat that 6.11 low/ 2.61 low crawl- just my .02..............

[​IMG]

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

the low range in the 4speed combined with the low in the t case is good enough to swing even the biggest tires. unless you really dont like stick i would keeep the current setup

4. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

5. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

I would be interested in selling the 4spd std....I really want to run an auto...we don't do any rock climbing out here, but we have lots of long mud stretches, where the momentum of an auto and the ability to change gears without losing the momentum really shines...otherwise I like the 4spd. std. for reliability, no problem in deep water, ability to push start if need be, etc...i run stick in my tow trucks, for obvious reasons...but I still keep saying to myself why?...cavemen shifted gears...we have automatics now....much easier to drive and hold the camcorder with an auto....anyway...I am located in Manitoba, Canada, about 45 minutes east of Winnipeg....shipping may cost more than the trans.....ED

6. BIGCHEVY

BIGCHEVY Registered Member

HEY FAST EDDY!! I'M FROM MANITOBA TOO. I THINK I TALKED TO YOU BEFORE ABOUT BUYING THAT BLAZER. I LIVE IN BRANDON. IT'S ABOUT 2 HOURS WEST OF THE PEG. I WOULD LIKE TO SWAP PICS WITH YA SOMETIME. I HAVE A 79 SILVERADO WITH 12 INCH LIFT BUT I WANT TO GO BIGGER. MY E-MAIL IS BIGCHEV454@HOTMAIL.COM

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,YOU AIN'T TRYING HARD ENUFF

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Let us know if you pick it up. (or at least me) I need a couple of parts I know you won't need : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>