Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4speed=465?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jaden, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Jaden

Jaden Registered Member

got a question.........took the tranny/transfer case outta my 83 the tranny shift nob says L-1-2-3 is this a 465? how would I ID this if it is not.........the book says if it is a four speed it is a 465 but I am not sure they consider the granny gear a actual running gear any help is appreciated

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes that is a SM 465. Bombproof[​IMG] with an awesome crawler gear. L is a gear, at least where I got my emissions test done, the 'nice lady' that dyno'd it for the loaded test used 'L' instead of first, I could see the tach needle peak at about 5000 RPM! coulda killed her!

Rene

[​IMG]

3. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

tRustyK5

why do you have to have your truck dyno'd for an emissions test? just curious because I've never heard of doing that before. The b@$&^$%#ds are talking about starting emissions testing in my county.

baldbandit

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well in my little corner of the world, they do an idle test (self explanatory [​IMG]) and a loaded test to simulate emissions while driving. The loaded test is supposed to be similar to driving down a street doing about 25 MPH. So the roll the vehicle onto a dyno and a 'tech' (formally employed flipping burgers) drives your vehicle on the dyno. I always seem to get the real losers! The funny part is they don't chain the vehicles down so if you run biger tires and a locker they really jump around on the rollers and scare the bejeezus out of the 'tech's' [​IMG]
    Until this year anything that had a full time option or all wheel drive was exempted from the loaded test. A couple of months ago they added some funky new dyno's, a fixed roller and an adjustable roller (for wheelbase) so they can test all of us now.[​IMG]
    Unfortunately they make anything with 4WD use this dyno, whether you're part time or not. There is only one per testing facility so the 4x4 lines are long. I have to get tested again in a month or so, so I figure I'll make em sweat a little. I'm locking the hubs before I get there and puting it in 4 HI [​IMG] Lets see how the K5 jumps around in 4 HI with 36" Swampers and a welded rear diff[​IMG]
    Its just a big money grab anyways, I might as well be entertained.
    The part that ticks me off is that while they are testing your vehicle you are locked in a booth, they literally have to 'let' you out when they're done.
    One tip I got that works well is to use the upper limit for idle speed. My 350 with a mild cam will not pass idling at 600 RPM, but passes with flying colors at 950 RPM. The upper limit for us is 1150 RPM, anything above that and they won't test it.

Rene

[​IMG]