Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4speed to 5speed?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Aug 21, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

my brother has an 82' 3/4 ton chev truck with a 350/465/208and a mechanical clutch linkage, He is wanting to install a 5speed tranny so what all do i need to get this swapped over? what truck do i need to get one out of? would like to stay with the 208 also

thanks

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dunno about keeping the 208..... is he mainly looking for overdrive?
    Im contemplating this myself... a nv4500 will keep that low creeper gear and give a final .73:1 overdrive... :bow:

Also 1993-1994 chevy trucks had the better of the nv4500's....
    I havent looked into this too much myself yet... so i do not know if your bell housing will work..

so what to look at..

bell housing -
    ~~~ is the bolt pattern the same on a nv4500 & smc?
    ~~~ my bell housing has extra holes so will the nv4500 bolt to that?

xfer case
    ~~~ will the np208 bolt to it?
    ~~~ if not what are the choices ( I think the nv4500 is a 10 spline )
    ~~~what xfer case adapter is needed?

driveshaft
    ~~~is the nv4500 longer or shorter?
    ~~~if so is a new dshaft needed?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The NV4500 will not bolt to a SM465 bell. Advance adaptors sells aftermarket bells though, or you could try and make the factory NV4500 bell work. That'll also require swapping to hydraulic clutch...

An np 208 does bolt to an NV4500 though (as long as it has the 32 spline input)

NV4500 is longer than the SM465 by a few inches, so both driveshafts will needs modification.

Rene

4. bigbadchev84

Yes the reason he is wanting to swap is because his tranny is junk and he wants the overdrive to tame his 4.56s and 35s, he is traveling 30miles each way to college this year everyday, so he is wanting to drop the rpms down the highway. he is totally against driving something other than a fullsize. i am sure after a couple months of gas he will change his mind.

ok i got a few questions:
    what were the years that the nv4500 was availible? just 93-94?

Also if we were to switch to hydro clutch we could use the original bell housing right?

If we did switch to hydro, is there any difference between mechanical clutch pedals and hydro?

how do i know if it has 32 splines?

i also have a 208 off of an old 700r4 what is the spline count on it?

5. tRustyK5

The NV4500 could be found from 93 to the late 90's, but it's not easy or cheap to find. GM also used a much more common light duty 5 speed in those years in the half tons. It was either the Getrag or the NV3500 and neither is very strong or desirable. The NV4500 was found in the 3/4 tons and one tons.

The problem with the factory bell is they often didn't survive when the truck was wrecked (if you're hoping to find one in a wrecking yard) The other issue is the slave cylinder and stuff is on the passenger side, and on a truck with a passenger side drop T-case there may be clearance issues with the front driveline.

The hydro pedals are different, the good news is in '85 our trucks also got hydro clutch. So, he could scare up some factory hydro clutch pedals, pedal hanger, clutch master etc etc.

All 208's behind the SM465 were 32 spline. 208's from behind the 700R-4 were 27 spline.

I hope your buddy isn't hoping for a cheap swap, average prices I see for a decent NV4500 are around the $1K mark. He could buy a lot of fuel for $1K, and it would certainly take a long time and a lot of miles to recoup his initial investmant in fuel savings. I'm guessing he'll see no more than a 2-3 mpg increase with the NV4500.

Rene

6. RootBreaker

wow thanks for the info.. yeah I put a 85 fullsize jimmy hydro setup in and love it.... didnt know about the passenger side hydro for the nv4500..... I got a np208 on my garage floor from a sm465/208 combo.....

7. bigbadchev84

so are all nv4500s 32 spline?

8. RootBreaker

9. tRustyK5

Nope, the dodge ones are 29 spline :wink1:

rene

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Dodge can be 23-spline also.... that's with a V8 gas engine.

Started in '91 for the 3500HD and P-vans. (This is actually a 4wd type trans; e-brake bolts on just like a t-case)

Regular pickups didn't get them until '92 (perhaps mid-year introduction). 91-94 has the deep ratio 1st gear. Bolt pattern and ratios made the same as Dodge for '95. '96 is the introduction of the internal slave (aka hydraulic release bearing) which was/is not a good design. It stuck around until '98 for sure... not sure if it got revamped/improved later again.