Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4th engine??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, May 25, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Was just on the phone with my mechanic- seems one of his customers just blew his forth 6.5 TD motor.

I found this a bit odd, and inquired more about it. HE says it looks like the camshaft broke, on this new gm crate motor. On the last one, it looks like it was oil starved.

So of course, my mechanic calls the motors "junk" and "under powered".

I personally like this motor a lot. I dont know what caused the owner to crack a cam, he says the engine isnt used heavily, (3500 dually with utiltiy bed). And 6 blown turbo's seem very odd too.

Any comments?

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Was just on the phone with my mechanic- seems one of his customers just blew his forth 6.5 TD motor.

I found this a bit odd, and inquired more about it. HE says it looks like the camshaft broke, on this new gm crate motor. On the last one, it looks like it was oil starved.

So of course, my mechanic calls the motors "junk" and "under powered".

I personally like this motor a lot. I dont know what caused the owner to crack a cam, he says the engine isnt used heavily, (3500 dually with utiltiy bed). And 6 blown turbo's seem very odd too.

Any comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

My first guess is he uses the regular oils instead of diesel rated oils.
    Maybe even changes every 5000 or even longer.
    I also think he could be heavy on the foot and doesn't have or doesn't look at the Ex temp guage.
    I have seen people do stupid things and they affect the statistics drastically.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I know a couple of people that just never change oil...then when they blow the motor with under 90,000 miles they call that brand of vehicle junk. If you make it idiot proof a bigger idiot will come along and use it.

Rene

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know a couple of people that just never change oil...then when they blow the motor with under 90,000 miles they call that brand of vehicle junk. If you make it idiot proof a bigger idiot will come along and use it.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I know one exactly like that, he's the guy I bought the diesel van from, he towed a 24 foot boat behind the van for 5 years all over the country and at 75k one rod bearing was completly gone, and the rest were toast.
    needless to say the crank was junk.
    That is why I don't trust anybody when they start talking about certain brands or models.
    /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif