Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4th of July Camping in the White Mountains, anyone intrested??

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by therobzilla, Jun 10, 2004.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Ok,

I'm posting for intrest, the family and I are going to take another trip up north for the holiday weekend for the 4th. We were considering Durango, CO for some camping wheeling, Rocky Point, MX for fishing wheeling, but it looks like a better mixture is going to be the White Mountains, either on the Apache Reservation, or on National Forest Land. Still plenty of areas to camp in.

It looks like the dates are going to be the 1st thru the 5th, for us. We can save spots for other if intrested when we are up there, if you can't make it up as early as us.

The temps in the White Mnts are still not too bad during the days and really nice in the pm's. 70/80 daytime, 40/50 nightime.

Lot's of fishing, hiking, and maybe some trail driving down forest roads doing some exploring. No hardcore wheeling. But lost of fun.

Is anyone intrested. I am just not going to sweat my ass off in the valley over 110+ degree temps for 5 days. I'm going somewhere it's cool to be outside!!!!

We are even thinking about remote camping, the Reservation land has some pretty cool remote camping spots, but if others are intrested we could always do the campground thing, not an issue with us, the more the better.

I'm taking the trailer/camper/blazer up. We can dry camp for about 4/5 days with water and food if we are conservative. Will be a little smelly but going to try out the hot water shower this time.

Post up if you are intrested, this could be a great time with a group of people going. Let me know what your thoughts are??

We just went up to Prescott over Memorial weekend and did alot of the same, and the kids had a blast with the whole fishing/exploring thing.

This could be a blast with a bunch of people up there, the camping fees are very reasonable on the Reservation, $8.00 per vehicle per day.

2. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

speaking of fishing...
    my friend just went fishing at Ashurst Lake (just southeast of Mormon Lake) and caught his limit within 2hrs using Powerbait. That's 12 trout! I know your kids are itching to actually "catch" some fish.

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Up and out of town would be fun. Anyone know of any wheelin around the Pine Strawberry Payson area? That'd be about as far as I think I would trust Wimpy. Not to terribly far from Ashurst/Mormon Lake area. By the way, not much fishin in Mormon Lake these days. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Good luck to y'all in the future. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Allan

4. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

Eli (weisel) knows of a trail about 10 miles from payson. Pyaute (sp?) Draw. It has a camping area right next to the trail. No water or port a potties or anything, but a good flat area that a decent sized group could camp in. Two good obsticals. Fully locked a must for the upper part, but a lot of play area on the lower draw area. Fishing on the East Verde also about 10 miles away if theres enough water in it to be stocked with trout.

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey That sounds like fun! If I can get the emissions problem and the out of ballance problem worked out in time I might be up for that.

Later,
    Allan Greenblazer