Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4th seat belt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5-CJ5, Oct 7, 2011.

1. K5-CJ5

K5-CJ5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a chance to get a great deal on a 75 chevy 3/4 4x4 with rear 14bff and front dana 60, new 38" tsl bias ply, and new motor/trans. I was wondering if anyone has added a 4th seat belt to a standard cab truck? I have 3 small kids which physically would fit with no trouble, and would like to add the 4th belt for trips to school etc.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

*Assuming* it's like my '74 pickup, you'd have to do a little drilling or something.

The pickup is set up for three belts, with four bolts: o -- o -- o -- o if that makes sense (Gotta love the ASCII art! :haha: )

The Blazer, in contrast, has a rear bench that was set up for two belts with four bolts o -- o o -- o, so I just got a third belt and doubled up on the middle two bolts. Five minute setup.

In the case of the pickup, I think you'd hafta pop a hole in the floor centered between two of the existing bolts, then use some big honkin' fender washers and/or maybe a piece of plate underneath as reinforcement. This also assumes the floor isn't rusty.

-- A

3. K5-CJ5

K5-CJ5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Im not worried about drilling holes! The floor is perfect, I was thinking about running a place the full length of the cab for the seat belts to attach.

I was curious if anyone has done this, or if its even legal.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Oh lordie, don't start with the legality thing. :haha: In short, you're not gonna find a way for it to be absolutely certifiable (either pro- or con-) from the law short of crash-testing it :rolleyes: I would just engineer it to withstand the 50-100# of your target kid at speed -- doesn't matter if it's legal or not as long as it saves them from being tossed from the truck in a collision. :deal:

Yeah, if you ran a thick piece of flat stock (or better yet, agle or channel) across the four bolts, you oughta be fine. Drill through for the existing bolts, then weld some nuts into the top or something, you wouldn't even have to drill into the floor.

-- A

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Look at California law and verify that you can have 4 people in the front of a pickup. In Colorado it's no more than 3.

6. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Same in Idaho, only legal to have 3 in the front of a pickup

7. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think you'll get pulled over as soon as they see 4 in the front because they know there are only 3 belts from the factory. Some officers are dumb.... but not that dumb.

8. owenst7

owenst7 1/2 ton status

I know this isn't relevant, but it is funny. In high school, my brother took a bench seat and bolted it in the bed of his std. cab pickup so that he could take more people to lunch with him. He got pulled over, but there were seat belts and it was bolted in there through a welded strip of angle stock. He got the cop to agree it was no different than a Blazer or a 4Runner with the top off, and he ended up letting him go with no ticket.

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    We had a car seat mounted in the back of Dad's chevy Luv pickup, bolted thru the frame with seatbelts for going to the drive inn.