Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4to1 241 T case mod

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FRIZZLEFRY, Jun 14, 2001.

1. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I saw a small artical in 4 wheeler mag and it talked about a 4 to 1 gearset for a 241 t case.This sounds pretty cool.Could I swap one in in place of my 208?A fixed yoke and 4 to 1 would be a good thing .Anyone done this or seen this?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am tearing into my 241 to install the slip yoke eliminator kit. So - I am currently waiting on a quote for the Mepco 4:1 - hope I can afford it since the case will be split anyway....
    I'll post here if/when I get the price.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

3. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

The 4-to-1 gearset for the NP231/NP241 T-cases will not go into a NP208. Well, anything is possible given enough $$$ anything is possible, but you're better off going to the NP241 and doing that conversion than trying to make it work inside an NP208.

How many spiders does the low range planetary use in the NP241 4-to-1 kit? Stock is 6, I heard that it was 5 for the kit...maybe a bit of loss in strength...worth asking about IMHO. (NP208 has 4 but they are straight cut.)

--Rob

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I almost did this swap, but the only major negative to me is that you effectively lose a normal 4Low gear. You will have the superlow 4-1 gearing, which is cool for some situations, but is not practical for most normal wheeling. Then you have 4Hi, which in my case I never use, except on snowy highway conditions. I think 4Hi is useless for my offroading, I want the extra control of 4Low and the ability to creep along. I just think that the 4-1 is TOO low for everything but the occasional really tough rock gardens and steep ascents/descents. Just my .02, but that's why I will be going with the Doubler, so that I can have all three options: 4Hi, 4Low, and Super 4Low!!

5. 2Dogs

Thanks for the info Rye. It will probably be cost-prohibitive anyway.

Frizz - sent you a PM.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

6. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

How hard is the install on the slip yoke conversion. Which one are you using?

As far as a 4:1 for the 241, 2.72:1 is allready lower than most tcases. The conversion would have to be really reasonably priced for the amount of gain.

Kent

1989 K5

7. 2Dogs

kpanza,
    What tranny and gears do you have? How much lift?
    When you go to the doubler, what kind of driveline mods are required?
    I am going to a 4" lift, 4.10s (for freeway), 35" tires.
    I have the 700r4/4L60 and the 241 tcase.
    You think low would be too low and high useless with these specs? I can picture hitting 10 mph in OD while in 4 low.... LOL

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

8. 2Dogs

Kent,
    I am getting the kit with my CV joint driveline from Highangle Driveline. (530)442-0056 <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.highangledriveline.com/>http://www.highangledriveline.com/</A>
    I am working through a shop so I don't have direct prices

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

9. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Dave,

I have a 700R4 and 4.56 gears with 35" BFGs with a 6" lift... With the Doubler, you would have to get the front shaft lengthened and the rear shortened, depending on how far your transfer case moves from it's stock location. I would be swapping out my 208 case for a 203/205 combo...

I think the 4-1 would be too low for normal wheeling, but that is just my opinion...and my 4Hi is useless to me, since I don't get much "gear braking" or control on the trail with it...also, I don't think Steven has a Doubler Kit that will work with the 241 yet, but I could be wrong, you might want to check...another option is the Klune-V unit, which would let you keep yoru present 4Hi/Low ranges and add another Super Low range...they are expensive, and some on here have their doubts as to whether they will last in a fullsize truck, but I have personally seen them live under a big block Ford 4x4, so I believe that they are a strong unit...

10. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Thinking about it,having 4hi and 4 super lo doesnt sound so hot.I never use 4hi. If you could get 4lo and 4 super lo that would be great.Im still thinking the doubler is the way to go.That Klune V deal is cool but a little pricey.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</A>