Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd atvs

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by cegusman, Mar 20, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am about to purchase a 4wd atv, I have been looking at the yamaha grizzly 660. Is there any other ones out there I sould look at. I have never owned one before, really dont know what to look for, any help would be appreciated.

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've got a 2003 Grizzly and love it. There are others out there and I did my research. I came to the conclusion that the Grizzly was the best.

Mine is very fast and hasnt been stuck yet, and I try too. The selectable 4wd and lockable front diff is sweet. Its very comfortable to ride and very stable.

I hope this helps.

John

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What was your total walk out price? I really think that is the best out there right now. It has mare options than anyother.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

I walked out with it for 6500. I got a winch and an extended warranty to go with it for that price. Ive seen some go for lower on ebay and have found some good deals on them on the net.

John

5. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

What are you wanting the 4x4 for? Have you ever thought about a Max 6x6? They will not only go through more stuff then any 4x4, they float in water also. Depending on what you would want, option wise, they will cost about the same or little more then a new 4x4. If interested, go to www.maxatv.com

6. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Damn that is cheap. Around here they want $8000 walk out no upgrades no extended warrenties.

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Those are ok. Yes they float, but I have a boat for that. And my grizzly can tow it just fine anywhere. Plus those Max things are pretty slow.

My grizzly will run 65-70mph top end and haul ass getting there. I love my ATV and wouldnt trade it anytime soon.

John

8. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

You have a point John, the grizzly is faster at 65-70 mph. I bet you never go that fast when on trails though. The Max IV will run 35 mph and the Max II will run 42 mph with the big engines in them. That is why I asked, why he wanted one. If it is speed, then get a sport quad, if it is for a workhorse, then the both can do the job. If he wants something for hunting and fishing, then the Max is better. I just wanted him to think about the 6x6's.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I just want something to ride when my truck in not running, but it has to be fast. And go anywhere.

10. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

A Grizzly goes 70? I wouldn't count on it. A Yamaha Banshee goes just over 70, and thats a high performance twin cylinder two stroke. Not saying a Grizzly is not good, because I would have one if I could afford it, but it sure dosn't it 70.

11. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

Not trying to start anything here, but the speedo on my Grizzly has gotten up to 68. Yes I was going downhill but it still went that fast. On flat ground 63-65 is not uncommon.

Is this speedo accurate? Maybe. I think its close. These are just my observations. A 660 Raptor runs about 80 or so. Its not hard for me to think that a 4wd ATV with the same motor couldnt go 65-70.

My .02,
    John

12. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Dang, dude...you've got some ba!!s to go that fast on a 4x4 quad. NOT saying it shouldn't be done, but I've gotten an '02 350 Rancher ES up to 40 and that felt FAST flying down a dirt road with woods on each side. Maybe it was the thought of a deer jumping out in front of me at that speed that scared the crap out of me. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yes the Grizz goes that fast same motor as this. I hit 74.
    [​IMG]

14. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

Sure it's the same motor, but a Raptor dosn't weigh anywhere near what a Grizz weighs. That's like comparing a 350 in a Boss Hoss motorcycle and a 350 in a K5. They are the same motor so they should be equally fast right? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah they weigh different, but only a couple hundred pounds if that much...they move for a big 4x4 quad