Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd conversions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Delaware K5, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Delaware K5

Delaware K5 Registered Member

I would like to start by saying what a great website this is and an informative forum. I am new to the site so i will apologize if I ask an old question. I have a 79 K5 with fulltime 4wd and would like to convert it to parttime with the use of a Mile Marker hub conversion kit I saw at Jc whitney. Just want some feedback from anyone who has used it or any other kit similar. In time I will replace everything but am looking for a budget friendly fix for now. my main concern is the additional stress on the steering components being that they are 26 yrs old. Unless someone can convince that there is little additional stress of fulltime 4wd on road use

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Your truck is a real 4x4 truck. 4 loc makes your truck work just like a standard 4x4. The only thing I've heard with the conversion is something with the lubing that's lost when you convert it to part time. You just have to lock the hubs and something else and run it for a bit to get the lube circulating every once in a while....

3. Delaware K5

thanks for the info, if i understand you correctly, i would need to lock the hubs and transfer case to hi loc or low loc and just cruise every so often or before i go play

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't use hi low loc on the road!!! You'll bind it up. Lock the hubs and put it in just Hi to get the lube circulating.

5. Delaware K5

that makes more sense, i was just confused by your other post about "lock the hubs and something else" standard hi would be the normal position of the shift lever anyway thanks

6. 79cheyenneblazer

79cheyenneblazer Registered Member

I have the mile marker part time conversion, I have never had any problems with it in the 6 years its been in there. I started out with superwinch hubs, but not I opted for the warn premiums. It will save you $$$ in gas also by doing the conversion.

7. Delaware K5

it seems to be a fairly easy install, was that your experience also. is it correct that to keep lube circulating freely that you just need to lock hubs every so often

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are you talking about the shaft replacement kit or the slug kit? I've heard the slugs will wear out but the shaft is strong. Personally if your gonna spend around $200 I'd just replace it with a NP205 from a TH350. Just get the driveshafts from the donor vehicle and everything else is a direct swap.

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

ive got a brand new part time shaft conversion kit i need to get rid of. lemme know if you're interested.

10. Delaware K5

are you getting rid of it because you found another or becouse you chose not to use it. it so, why not. other than that, how much and about how much to ship to DE do you think. not sure i understand about the slug kit? just know that it was listed as 4wd to 2wd conversion

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

12. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i bought it to use in my rig, but when i opened up my transfer case i found out that it had already been converted(which made me feel real stupid)

im having trouble getting good contact with the site i ordered it off of (4wheelonline.com) and would rather let someone else save a couple bucks.

im askin 200 and i got an estimate for 11 bucks from here to newark. i paid 280 for this kit new

13. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    FYI the NP203 transfer case uses motor oil, not gear oil !
    So whatever you run in your motor, run in your NP 203 transfer case. :D

14. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yep...use motor oil...when i opened mine up to convert it, there was gear oil in there.