Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have a question
    when i am 4hweeling mt truck will pop out of 4 hi and go into 2hi.
    the light on the dash will go off, is it still engaged in 4hi or did it really pop into 2hi because then i gotta put it in nuetral to put it back in 4hi
    i am running warn premium manual hubs, if that matters.
    thanks

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

does the lever actually move into 2hi or does the indicator light just blink off?

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>

3. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

both
    sometimes its jsut the light, but sometimes it will slip to like between 2hi and 4 hi

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It is actually going back into 2WD. The light is just controlled by a switch inside that T-case that closes when the shift lever is in the right place. So looking at the shifter is as good of an indicator as the light is (or better in the event the light or wiring is bad).
    This is an annoying problem with the 208. You can start digging down before you realize that you've lost the 4WD. I find that it helps to pull it back further then 4HI and then bring the lever back forward into 4HI when first engaging the 'case.

<font color=green>Today's Forecast: Partly cloudy with a chance of mud</font color=green>

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure where the switch is that controls the light, but it could be moving just enough that it is still in 4WD but the light goes off. However, you could also be fully jumping out of 4WD. I know that when I am on something like a steep incline where the front end is doing a lot of bouncing, it can pop out of 4WD. I don't have to go through neutral to get back in 4WD, but I do have to re-shift.

Last trip out, I got stuck down in a creek crossing. I was trying to drive out, but I was digging a good hole under both tires in the mud and water. Some of the guys came over and asked me if I was locked up front. I said yeah and they replied "well, your front wheel isn't turning!" I though oh sh1t!! Busted an axle or something. Then I looked down and noticed I was out of 4WD! I shifted back into 4WD and got on it again. But, as the truck would bounce, it would simply pop right back out again. I had my 15 year old sitting in the passenger seat hold it in 4WD while I worked the wheel as we flew up and out of the hole I had created.

I am designing some sort of strap right now that will hold my shifter in 4WD by starpping to the center console. I am runnign a competition in March and can't afford the delay of having it pop out of 4WD. And I can't see effectively if I am holding the shifter. And, it is too dangerous for someone else to hold it for me. That dash can hit a head pretty hard!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Strapping the shifter into gear will wear out the internal shift forks. They aren't designed to have any pressure on them other than when shifting. [​IMG] You need to determine why it's kicking out of gear and fix the problem.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...