Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd history?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Mar 28, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

whats the history of tires, lifts, styles
    how did people do things in the 80's 70's?

did they have huge mud tires back then?

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    did they have huge mud tires back then?

[/ QUOTE ]

In a sense they did. They had tractor tires.(not all tractor tires are 54" firestones)

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I can remember hearing about tire sizes referenced as 10-hundreds or 11-hundreds or THE BIG ONES 12- hundreds ( basically 31's - 32's and 33's ) in the seventy's .
    The first real big tire that I remember was a 36" Grand Prix ( looks like a Ground Hawg Mudder ) . I think by the late seventy's that the bigger tires were showing up on home made lifted trucks but in the eighty's things like 12" lift for a Chevy and 44" tall tires were fairly common.
    I remember when Interco Super Swamper first started to appear in the magazines and thinking "Oh my God - THAT is a specialized MUD tire that can go in either direction - WELL " and now the TSL's are the starting point for mud playing..........
    Tom

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Ya know, I was think the other day as I was scanning brochures (I know, thinking is dangerous...). It seems like the tires then were wider, or at least looked wider. That may just be that tire treads have changed in three decades, or it may be my inability to convert a G78 or L78 tire to anything I understand.

-- A

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I remember back in high school (the 70's) The largest tire I could get was a Dick Cepek 36" tire!! WOW.

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

tires were actually narrower back int the 70s.
    my uncle is a game warden in washington and I remember growing up he had a lot of property with a couple of big ass shops and they would store all the state trucks there they all had good year 900-16s that was the winter tire for mud and snow and measured around 36" tall and about 11" wide there was also the buckshot mudders that came in the QR-78 sizes that were also around 36" tall. that was a big tire in the 70s. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. BigBlazer90

BigBlazer90 Registered Member

My dad as a kid lived for jacking up trucks he went threw atleast 10 trucks he jacked up. He's biggest he ever had was a 72 k5 blazer couldn't afford a lift so he welded pipes on for suspension and when he was done he had 12 inches of lift and 44in tractor tires on it.

8. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

As I recall, early 70's, I don't think anyone was into flexing. Tall lifts were uncommon. Almost everyone I hung with had a 2 or 4" lift. Tru trax tire were common. These were a nice off-on road tire. In fact. Dick Cepecks "Fun Country's" were almost the same design. No one even talked of lockers, D60's, doublers etc. We all had hard bouncy rides. Tallest tire available was the "Monster Mudder". I don't remember what size it came in.
    Oh yea, no emmisions,.........ahh the good ole days. BTW, I'm the only one that still enjoys off-roading. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    I'm really not that old...wait, I don't think. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Joe

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In the early '70s, I wasn't even born yet.

My parents were just barely old enough to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif