Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd indicator light on in 2wd?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CenTxk5blazer, Jun 10, 2004.

1. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

I've checked to make sure the hubs were unlocked and the shifter was in 2wd. When I shift in and out of 4hi it will go off but later sometimes it will either flicker a little or come back on when I'm driving. I'm thinking its the switch/contact going out on top the np208. Is it this or is there an internal problem with the np208?

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

It shouldn't be a internal problem with the 208.. I guessing it's the indicator switch on the t-case itself.. or check the wires going to the shifter.. under the shift selector..
    If you don't feel the front tires biting when driving/turning, you'll be okay..
    And hey where in austin are ya? Round Rock here...

3. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

Yeah, it doesn't feel like the tires are biting and the wires seem to be in good condition. I'll go ahead and replace the switch when I have time to see if that fixes it. I'm in the Mopac and Farwest area.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, couple of easy approaches. First, unplug the connector. That should turn the light off. If it keeps coming on, bad wiring somewhere. Not likely, but free and easy.

Second is to pull the switch, and just test it with a multimeter. It may have some adjustment to it (the 205 ones don't FWIW) depending on how it threads into the case, and that could be the problem. Probably just a simple plunger setup, if it doesn't get depressed far enough, and stay depressed, the light will act funny.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

on the 208 the light comes on when the ball is despressed, goes off when its released. its problably stuck /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Again having only dealt with the 205 switch, there is a ball bearing, spring, and the plunger that actuates the switch. Spring keeps the ball bearing in contact with the shift rail, when the detent on the rail lines up with the ball, the plunger drops down.

Could be as simple as a broken spring, probably used in just about every GM transfer case with an indicator light. Of course, I had a switch that was actually bad, but it wasn't too pricey, about $12 from GMpartsdirect.com