Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4WD Lo? I can't shift forward

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gaine7, Feb 19, 2002.

1. gaine7

gaine7 Registered Member

4WD Lo? I can\'t shift forward

Can anyone help me? I can't get my T-case to shift into 4Lo it will go into 4Hi and lock but it wont lock into 4Lo. Any ideas would be great.

Clemson K5 1979

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Re: 4WD Lo? I can\'t shift forward

hey, mine is kinda hard to get into 4x so try kickin it forward. i know it sounds like a redneck solution, but works rather well. also check your linkages goin into the t-case. good luck

NITRO

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is that a gear or chain case? The gear type need to be run regularly to keep the gears meshed I think.

Are you in neutral on level ground?

When was the last time you had it in lo?

Dave

Rehab is for quitters.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Do you have a NP203 T case? I do and I'm having the same problem. Hopefully someone will help us. BTW I tried the kick method and I get low range but no front lock and it pops out into a false neutral. I think it may be the adjutsment on the linkage but I don't know how to adjust it. Can somebody help?

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

5. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I know this is a stupid answer, but are you pulling the shifter to the right? Dunno if it's required on your year, but on my Jimmy I was gettin pissed cuz I could go into 4 Hi but not 4 Lo, and I pulled on that thing hard as hell. Then I later noticed the little diagram that showed it moving down and right. Tried it and bam, went right in. Boy, didn I feel like an idiot hehe.

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Actually, I think its a case of you having to adjust the transfer case linkage. Mine does the same and I've been meaning to adjust it also to see if it works.

<font color=red>"PROCRASTINATE NOW!!!"</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

7. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

this is for the new process np203 and the 208 transfer case....
    1. align the guage holes in the levers with the gauge hole in the shifter mechanism and insert a pin or drill bit of the appropriate size. this locks the shift lever in neutral.
    2. p;ace the transfer case shift arms in neutral (pointing straight down in the 6 o'clock position).
    3. with both the swivel and locknuts loosele aassembled to the rod, rotate the swivel until the ends of the rod will enter both levers at the same time and then secure with the retainer.
    4. tighten the locknuts against the swivel, making sure the arm doesn't move.
    5. repeat steps fro the other rod, lever and arm.
    6. remove the gauge pin.

this comes from the HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL.
    hope this helps.

also, if your blazer has a body lift, it could be hitting on the sheet metal of the trans. tub....you may need to do some trimming to allow the lever to fully move so that it can engage.(i had this problem when i first purchased my blazer)

when all else fails..............HIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun32</a>

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Thank you! I think I may have a combination of the two problems. I just did a 1" ORD body lift, but I don't think that the shifter is hitting the tranny cover but it might be. I gues I'll have to try adjusting it and while I'm at it I'll try removing the shifter boot and see what happens. Hopefully it's something simple.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

9. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

There is a simple solution! -Just simply squirt some oil down into the shifter box. I had the same problem. I removed the floor panel around the shifter and just lifted the shifter box cover enough to squirt some oil in. After workin' it in and out of gear and a half a quart of oil later - it was working like new. You might be able to access the box from under the truck too - I have no carpet or vinyl so I went from the top:)

" IT AINT DEEP !! " -common phrase from that guy who doesn't drive to the local mudhole.