Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd not working

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by MTBLAZER89, Aug 21, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

OK i did a search on this and came up with the actuator not engaging thing. From all the posts I read this problem is associated with no light on the floor. My buddy has the same prob, but his light comes on with lever pulled. Does this mean the actuator is good??? Just wanna find out if this actuator is really bad before we replace it. Thanks guys. BTW it's a 1990 2500 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4wd going bad is usually the actuator thats all I can say. I've never heard of another thing happening to an IFS chevy that it wouldn't go in 4 wheel.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

4wd going bad is usually the actuator thats all I can say. I've never heard of another thing happening to an IFS chevy that it wouldn't go in 4 wheel.

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My 93 K2500 Sub had something wrong inside the front diff. I replaced the elec actuator with a posilok and that didn't fix it. If you take off the actuator you should be able to engage the front axle by pushing on the internal plate/fork with something if I remember right. I never did get mine fixed before it was stolen.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've been told remove the actuator and jam some wood in there then put the actuator back as best you can and it will do the job. Don't know how reliable that is never tried it.