Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd on street

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5blazer, Nov 27, 2001.

1. K5blazer

K5blazer Registered Member

I have heard that it is unsafe to engage in four wheel drive on the street, supposedly it will tear up the axles. Is this true.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Yep! You will destroy something in your drivetrain, be it the tranny, transfer case, hubs, diff, axle ... something will go.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It'll be fine...as long as there is snow on the street[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've never broken anything if you put it in 4 Low and don't get out and lock the hubs.

If you have the hubs locked and in 4 wheel drive, there's no slippage on the street so something will have to give.

5. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Which explains full time 4WD from the factory........

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can have full time 4WD as long as you dont have a front locker. I you are open in the front then its okay but still puts more wear on the parts up front.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think the problem usually comes on dry pavement, when the front and rear wheels spin the driveshafts at 2 different speeds (be it even a hair), causing tension in the driveline. On dry pavement, the tires don't give enough to relieve the bindup, so something else has to give, maybe TC, shafts, axles, etc.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

it CAN hurt something but chances are your tires will scrub off any binding before damage.
    look at the rockcrawler guys. front and rear lockers, big tires, in 4wdr on a high traction surface.
    if you have open difs i doubt that you could get it to bind up at all

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Look at how many axles, driveshafts, u-joints, etc. that the rock crawlers blow up. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

10. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Crawl being key here.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

11. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

also keep in mind that factory fulltime 4 weel drive have a dif in the tcase to allow for slippage of front and rear axels, I wont do it but if you want to lets us know what happens [​IMG]

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If everything in the drivetrain is in good shape (aka..not on the verge of breaking anyway) and with open diffs, you can put a truck in 4wd and drive up and down paved roads all day and you shouldn't break anything. If you were locked front and rear than it would obviously put more stress on the drivetrain and you might possibly start looking at some breakage.

Of course, it cause a little more wear and tear on the components and there is really no reason to run in 4wd on dry, paved streets.

13. HarryH3

Give it a try with your truck first. [​IMG] At the first corner you come to the truck will suddenly feel like someone is pressing the brake pedal and trying to yank the steering wheel away from you. [​IMG]

Years ago a guy I worked with forgot to shift his NP203 out of lock before taking off down the highway. The t-case suddenly locked up at 60 mph. The gears in both diffs also broke from the shock loading. A very expensive lesson.... [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Again I will emphasize that the components need to be in good shape to begin with. Chances are the 203 locked up due to heat buildup when driving at highway speeds because of previous wear or old or low oil levels.

I would have no problem driving either one of my trucks locked in 4wd down the highway when it was dry, but I don't normally just because there is no reason to................I have personally seen many miles racked up with trucks in 4wd on the street. In the farming community I grew up in almost all of the farmers put the trucks in 4wd when hauling grain wagons on the road for both traction purposes (grain wagons don't add any tongue weight so traction is a problem in a pickup in 2wd with no extra weight) and that fact that it will equally distribute the torque/stress between the front and rear axles instead of placing all of the load only on the rear axle.

I do admit that the newer chain driven transfer cases are more efficient and don't produce the high heat build up that older cases, like the 203 and 205, do during sustained highway speed driving which could be a problem. But again, I don't think people are asking whether they can lock the truck into 4wd and go on a 200 mile road trip just for fun, rather I'm assuming the question is if they can just leave it in 4wd in the winter without shifting back and forth constantly due to changing road condtions (you don't want to stop every other mile on a freeway to switch between 2wd and 4wd...).

15. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

again, tires will scuff off the bind
    if you are hauling a huge amount of wieght it will become more likely that the tires would have enough traction to break something. my truck weighs in near 6000# empty and the 16" wide swampers scuffed off any bind, detroit rear powerlock front.
    I guess a good test would be lock it up and 4 lo in low gear circles and see if you can get enough traction to break anything. have to be at idle as well to prevent wieght transfer from lifting pressure from the inside tire.
    "there was this guy one time that my cousins cousins heard from his buddy....." who can say why his junk blew up

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

On my 205, even on dirt roads, if I shift into 4, hi or lo, (hubs locked of course) and drive for 1/4 mile, then try to pull it out of 4wd, 9 out of 10 times, I can't. If I back the truck up a foot, it comes out of 4 easily. You 205 owners that can't get it out of 4wd after wheeling, try it.

To me, that indicates even in moderate traction circumstances, I'm binding up the entire driveline up to the transfercase. I've got new u-joints, and ancient drivetrain components, so your "good condition" exception is duly noted lol.

Driving style comments here, but even with the 205, if I leave the hubs locked, I can get into 4 hi while moving at 25mph+. If road conditions are bad enough to require 4wd, likely you don't need to be going any faster anyways. (reference all yuppies in Explorers in ditches when it snows)

Then again, being able to shift in 4hi at speed might just be because I have a clutch. Maybe I need to add another + in the manual column of the manual trans vs auto wars? : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

17. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I'd offer the same advice if you told me you were gettin' married.....

DON'T DO IT !!

Marv

18. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I'll tell you from personal experience. When I first bought my Jimmy I thought it was in 2 hi, but after 3 days of driving it, the third morning while driving down the highway at 70 mph, something let go. It was the transfercase, so in retrospect I would not recomend it. Unless you want to learn how to rebuild your transfer case. Which I now know how to do thanks to the kind people here at K5.com and some time!

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

19. HarryH3

Sorry Dorian, but that isn't a manual-only feature. [​IMG] If the front hubs are already locked, then both driveshafts are turning at relatively same speeds while going down the road. Since this keeps the gear speeds inside the t-case matched up, then shifting to 4WD is pretty easy. [​IMG] Later model t-cases, on rigs that have auto hubs or some type of remote engagement for the front axle, have syncros that help make the shift at speed.

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep you are right...auto hubs would be a different story if they weren't already "in"

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?