Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kool, Feb 11, 2002.

1. kool

kool Registered Member

I seem to be having 4wd problems, as in the front wheel drive won't kick in. I was told that the front actuator could be screwed up. I was told some are thermal or electric. Where exactly is it and how will I know if it's shot? Thanks for any info...

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

They are a thermal unit that heats up to lock the front end in. most often in cold weather..like deep snow they choice not to work. They do go bad and to see if it works just get in some gravel or mud and see if the fronts dig. if it is hard to tell, try to turn a sharp circle with it in 4x4 mode. the inside tire on the front should be digging good cus it is turning a sharper circle.

<hr></blockquote>
    What do you mean, Where did I get it??...I <font color=blue>BUILT</font color=blue> the damn thing!!

3. kool

kool Registered Member

Hey ..That's good info, but where the little turd located?

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's either near the differential or the t-case. Look at the front axle, if you see a cable coming out of the top of it, follow it and that should be it.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat