Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4WD Q&A

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bklynlifted, Nov 21, 2002.

1. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

ok so i'm upstate ny hunting and we get 8 inches of the white stuff(snow) for you southern guys and i lock the hubs put it in neutral and shift to 4hi im driving dowm the road and the rear of the truck is all over th road??? i get to my spot and come out after 4 hours and start up leave and im stuck???? put it back in neutral and put it in 4 low still going no where the rear wheels are spinning but not the front i have a 208 locking hubs, the indicator light is on i feel the truck lurch foreward when i put it in gear so what do you all think>ps last year i had the rotors cut so im thinking the gut screwed up the hubs when he put it all back together. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i've had the same problem before. my hubs didn't engage period. i locked them in, pulled 4 hi, drive, and only the rear spun. the front output was turning, but the hubs weren't engaging. so i cut the truck off, pulled it out of 4 and put it in park. then i disengaged the hubs, re-engaged them, started the truck, pulled 4 again, drive, and it worked. given, they're a cheap set of hubs (i don't even know the manufacturer), and the dials are plastic. i might just have too much grease in them.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

2 possibilities here:
    Either the chain in your 208 is broken, so you don't have 4wd anymore.
    Or one of the hubs is not engaging right.
    What brand of hubs do you have? original Spicer or aftermarket warn or superwinch or something else.
    I have seen the warn with a broken spring (the spring that puches the mechanism in).
    The spicer with plastic dial one time melted on me and then wouldn't engage.
    Let us know more so we can help you narrow it down.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

If the front driveshaft spins with the transfer case in 4wd and the front tires don't move then it's one or both of the hubs.

5. bklynlifted

i have the warn premiums, also got new procomp mt's so with 8 inches of snow i should be spitting up snow all over the place when i mash it. so maybe it is the hubs cause i feel the truck lurch foreward when i pull 4hi and put it in drive??? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

some people make the mistake of greasing the hubs in the snow this would make them stick just my 2 cents... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'm with Iceman and throttleboss.
    ICEMAN helped me fix my problem with the broken spring at Pismo!
    I actually made the mistake of greasing my hubs last year and 4wd did not work.

It's probably one or the other. Just get some new locking hubs and you should be fine.
    Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. bklynlifted

ok so its unanamus we go with new hubs next question WHICH ONES.warns or spicer??? thanks for the help /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

Right now I have a Warn on one side and a Dick Cepek on another /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif b/c Tori89k5 had a spare Dick Cepek /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.giffor me. When I get my knew ones, I'll be getting the Warn Premiums though. I kinda liked that mechanism for the Cepeks though. They were a little simpler than my old Warns. Still going with the Warn Premiums just b/c of the good feed back I get from them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif