Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 9, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

It snowed and iced last night here in Kansas, and today I pulled my friend's Heep Wagoneer around his house so he could work on it in the garage. I put my truck into 4-Lo so I would have some power as well as traction. Well, my friend said, "Your front wheels are spinning faster than your rear wheels." This got my attention, but I didn't really worry about it. Is this normal or is something wrong? Could it be that the gear ratio in the front is different from the rear?

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Probably more likely you have an open diff front and rear, and one tire was just spinning slowly due to friction (from the other axle) Even if the gears were different, I don't think it would be physically possible to just watch and say conclusively that one was different ratio than the other.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

So, you got hit by the ice and snow storm, too, huh?!?! That makes the two of us!! We got hit so bad here, 100 miles from you, that we didnt go to work today!! Most of the town didnt anyhow. I am getting tired of this white crap on the ground. Its ok when we get a little bit, but geez, it dumps like 8 inches once a week!! This sucks!!

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

It's a diff thang. An open differential will spin one wheel at twice it's normal (road) rpm if the other is stationary. When one wheel turns more (as in a curve or loosing traction) it's picking up the extra revolutions from the slower side (per drive shaft RPM X rear end gear). 'Make sense?

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Yeah makes sense, but all 4 tires were spinning though.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos