Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd shifting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacked_86chevyk10, Mar 31, 2004.

1. jacked_86chevyk10

jacked_86chevyk10 Registered Member

does anyone know the "proper" way to shift into 4wd? im not stupid but ive heard many different things like after u shift out of it u have to back up at least 10ft...? stuff like that- can someone inform me on the proper way- i have an 86 k10 with i think the 208, thanks fellas /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Ya don't really have to back up 10 ft, but i always try to make it habit to back a few then pull forward and this is actually only when i unlock my hubs, i do this to try to make sure all tension is released from them and they actually unlock before i hit pavement. As far as the t-case goes, no need.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

If you still have auto hubs then you should back up at least 10 feet to make sure they're disengaged. After that throw them in the trash and get some manuals! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif To shift into 4hi, just let off the gas and yank the handle. To shift into 4lo, stop the truck, put tranny in neutral, then shift into 4lo.

Tip: If you are in 4hi and want to go to 4lo, after the tranny is in neutral, it is easier to shift all the way to 2hi then bring it back in one smooth motion to 4lo. Did that make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif