Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd slipping out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by suntadz, Feb 4, 2007.

1. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

i recently had a new one while 4wheelin. everytime i would let off the gas it would slip back into 2wheel drive. kinda of annoying because sometimes i wouldnt even notice. On some hill climbs my passenger would hold it into 4wd so we could make it up. I have a 208 tranfer and the handle seems a little to ez to move between 4wd and 2wd so big bumps would also knock it back. Im sure this is a common thing and any ideas would be helpful as im a new to this. thanks alot.
    robb

2. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

Ty adjusting your linkage.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

X2...

4. fendereff

fendereff 1/2 ton status

i had a similar problem with my 208. It seems to have resolved itself for now, but I havent fully tested it. Linkaage sounds logical, but let me know how that works out for ya.

5. ccatlett1984

ccatlett1984 1/2 ton status

the shift forks inside the case are made of aluminium and have nylon pads on the end, over time the pads where down and can cause this, in extreme cases the shift arm itself can start wearing down. the parts are pretty cheap, $15 a piece last time i checked. but you do need to tear down the case to get to them though. If the linkage isnt the issue, then you might consider getting a rebuild kit and the forks (there is a range fork and a mode fork) and doing it yourself. its not very complicated at all. usually its just the mode fork that wears down, since its used a lot more. the range fork that shifts into low range is usually fine, so the truck would not slip out of 4-lo.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I had a problem on my 90 with the NP241, the body mounts were rotted and the body was flexing enough to pull it out of 4 hi

7. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my '88 Blazer with a NP208. Ended up just having to adjust linkage. My brother is driving it now, he has had no more problems with it dropping out of 4wd.

8. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

If you have to adjust one that normally means something is starting to wear out. I see this a lot in the shop they will adjust once but if you have to keep adjusting it is time to replace the pads or the mode fork which is normally fried by the time you replace them. Check motor and trans mount.

9. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

and body mounts

10. suntadz

suntadz 1/2 ton status

Well I just adjusted my linkage according to my manual. hope it works. it does feel alot better and I has a definite snap into the position. Cant tell till my next trip out though. I also noticed the rubber mount looked a little squished out of place. I might try to call ORD and get a new tranny mount tomarrow. Wouldnt hurt to replace that too. Hope I dont have to rebuild it quite yet I need the money for bigger tires. Thanks for the input:bow:

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I know it sounds goofy but take a bungee cord with you - I had this happening on my heep due to a worn fork and used a bungee cord to hold it in 4 hi till I had time to rebuild the case. Cheesy but it kept me wheeling!