Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd will not disengage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rebel222, May 7, 2002.

1. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

I have been driving my truck lately to test its road worthiness. Sometimes the 4wd will not disengage. The shifter does NOT move at all. I can kick it and it will still stay in 4wd. It is a 80 K5 with a NP205. It doesn't matter if hubs are locked or not. Then, all of a sudden it will allow me to shift with no force at all. I am not doing anything different when it does work. PLEASE HELP

2. rebel222

I updated my profile to help people diagnose the problem

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i dont have a np205, but ive heard somewhere, maybe the manual that came w/ the truck, that when driven in 4wd, especially on pavement (if thats what your doing) the gears in it will clash, and make it unable to shift. If i remember right, u are supposed to back up a few feet, and try again. Maybe someone w/ a np205 will come along and diagnose better, but from my reading i dont think anythings amiss, its just the fact that the 205 is gear driven instead of chain driven.

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

My buddy with a Ford has a 205 in his truck, and it can be a real bear to shift it in and out of 4WD sometimes. Usually he has the most luck with trying to shift it in/out as the truck is rolling just slightly, just enough to get the gears moving. That usually does it. But sometimes he has to back up, or even turn the motor off and try it...those gear driven transfer cases can be very finnicky like that...trick is to get the gears to move a little...maybe have someone rock the truck back and forth when this happens, or just put it in neutral and roll it slowly...then try again...

And of course, it goes without saying that you need to check your linkages and also the case to make sure it is full of fluid!

5. rebel222

I tried shifting while in neutral and rolling backwards. Didn't do anything...

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Might be an internal problem...maybe some of the guys who have 205s can help you out!

Good luck...

7. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Mine does that, usually i just have to backup about a mile, ok not that far but more than a few feet, or i just spin them in the dirt and usually that will releive the stress, the front and rear diffs are a little differently geared, my front 4.09, back 4.10, thats not a big difference untill you multiply by a few miles , then it can put quite a bit of bind inthe drivetrain, so just back up till you can do it, or spin the wheels briefly. That usually works for me.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My 205 requires (most of the time) that I back up a bit and stop before trying to disengage. Stopping is critical : ) It only takes me usually a few feet, but one time (so far) it wouldn't come out even after backing up for quite some distance. Eventually like you say, it shifted effortlessly even in that instance.

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I just put mine in neutral and it comes out of 4lo every time.