Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wd wont work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuskadero, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Hi everyone, I seem to be having a problem getting my 4wd to work. Can someone explain a process for troubleshooting this problem, Thanks Heather

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Ok first off does it have locking hubs or manual hubs ?

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Could be the auto-hubs, if it still has them. I think it would help if you give us some more info on the problem. Like sounds or what happend when you first tryed to get it in 4wd and found out it was not working. You will get alot of "best guesses" w/o more details.

Twiztid

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What EXACTLY is going wrong? It won't shift into gear? The front shaft won't spin? Tell us what is the main problem, if you can find it, and we can get a better idea what to tell you.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Hay 3 replys at 8:20, not bad! Hows that for fast?

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 03/29/01 08:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Tuskadero

Tuskadero Registered Member

Sorry guys, well first of all I have manual locking heads, I jumped out before I was going to hit this muddy hill, locked the hubs, put it in drive, then in 4 low and punched it. I was sliding all over the place, thats when I realized my fwd wasnt working. Any suggestions?

7. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Get a boyfriend!

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

How about me? Oh, damn! I forgot for one split second there that I am married with a child!!! [​IMG]

9. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

do you have any idea on the transfercase it has in it 205/203/208?

Bandit
    (Your right i dont understand the jeepthing)

10. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Somebody needs a cold shower! [​IMG]Haha.

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>
    My truck beat up your SUV

11. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

How did you get it in 4low with it in drive? The transfercase is a np241. Double check the hubs to make sure they are working. Put the vehicle in neutral and have somebody watch underneath to see if the shaft moves when you shift it into 4wd. If it doesn't move, then it might just need to be adjusted at the case. Was the 4wd working before?

GOT ROCKS?

12. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Sorry, still not enuff for me. I would look at the front drive-line to the axle and see if it is turing in 4wd. that would zero in t-case or axle prob. Was the hub fully locked in? Some times if you "nail-it" it might skip past the splines and not engage the hubs completely. Check for any noises from any wher when driven in 4wd (get a body to drive it while you listwn). Hope this helps. Good luck.

Twiztid

Shoot, someone did it to me again, man I've got to learn how to type! (and spell) That other guy sounds like good advise to me, How did you get it into 4wd w/the trans in gear?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 03/29/01 09:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

13. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I've done this before so I have to ask...did you just turn the locking hubs or actually look at them and see that you were locking them and not unlocking them. (like u forgot you locked them a while back) Also, on a muddy hill and with open diffs (yours are open??) you will still do some sliding back and forth due to one front tire getting traction, then the other, etc. About putting in drive, then 4low that doesn't seem right. When u passed thru neutral in the xfer case, the input shaft should have started turning which would have caused alot of grinding and not much chance of going into 4low. 4high would have worked tho since not going past nuetral. If you really did go drive, then 4low, I would look at your xfer case shifter linkage. Hopefully you have some kind of repair manual that you can read the adjustment procedure.

On my xfer case shifter boot there is a convienent tear where I can see my front drive shaft. Makes it real easy to see if it's turning or not. Also, when in deep water, I know because it makes this cool muddy water fountain thing. If you don't have someone volunteering to lay under your K5 while you drive it, maybe take the shifter boot off.

[​IMG]

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

How many miles on the truck? Assuming that the hubs were locked in OK, one possibility is that the splines are stripped out on the slip joint on your front driveshaft. This is a fairly common problem if the slip joint was not greased regularily over its life.

Oh, and taterblazer, maybe she can borrow YOUR boyfriend!

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

lol goose cool muddy water fountin thing.
    i have done that one before in my blazer the puddle was deeper than i thought lmao

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I once had to disassemble my hubs on the trail because I was not getting any power to the front wheels. A buddy was watching my front end (I was stuck) while I gave it a bit of gas and saw the outer axle shafts were spinning as well as the front driveshaft, but neither front tire was spinning. When i took the hubs apart the grease was all gummy and was preventing the hub from engaging. Too much maintenance on my part [​IMG]. If your hubs haven't been serviced in a while that might be something to check.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>