Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4wheel drive conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by brolic, Aug 8, 2003.

1. brolic

brolic Newbie

Hi quick question, I am looking for a chevy swb or lwb over here in new york. The problem is I cant find any decent 4wheel drives for a decent price, all the 4x4's for sale are usually rust buckets and need major work to the engine because they use them as snow plows. The only decent trucks are usually 2 wheel drive. Now to my question how difficult is it to convert a 2wheel drive truck to 4 wheel drive. Is it worth it can someone tell me what is involved in doing this? Thanks for your help.

2. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I think the frame may be different from 2wd to 4wd models.... This would entail alot of welding and fabrication of spring mounts and such.... The steering however would be set up perfect for x-over I think ... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif If you're into fabrication and have some time on your hands then I'd say go for it. Oh, and also, the tranny would need to be modified to adapt to a T-Case but if you could find a divorced T-Case all you'd need would be a shaft.

3. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

its just not worth it.my best advice to you is to find a rust free truck in the south,or out west,get lots of pics ,and make the trip to get it,or have it shipped via auto transport. the cost,time and resorces are more than the average shadetree mechanic wants to tackle.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Main frame raills are the same. The front crossmember isn't The 4wd has a second crossmember withe the suspension assembly bolts on and it also cradles the engine so you have to put it on Or make one or buy one from MOO. 2wd spring mounts on the rear are shorter. Front spring holders can be added and the holes should be there.
    For the record the thought has crossed my mind to do this to my Burb. Needed the 454 and you couldn't get a 4wd 454 burb till the 90's.

Some guy just offered me a matched pair of D60 and 14 for a really really really good price.
    My wife is going to freak if I drag these home LOL.

5. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Whats a 'really really good price" in the states?

I dont eventhink I want to know... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Grim LOL /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    All my wife said was "I wonder how much the offer was for." LOL

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The front crossmember isn't The 4wd has a second crossmember

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean "2wd"

no welding required
    collect junkyard crossmembers and spring mounts
    drilling cutting bolting
    find tranny and TC you want to run

lots of work but not brain surgery

8. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where about are you in New York?? I live in Binghamton, stones throw from PA, and I know where there is alot of 4wds that aren't rusted. Everything from 1/2 tons to a few of the elusive one tons, one that I'm trying to aquire. Some prices are way out of whack, but some are reasonable.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The front crossmember isn't The 4wd has a second crossmember

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean "2wd"

no welding required
    collect junkyard crossmembers and spring mounts
    drilling cutting bolting
    find tranny and TC you want to run

lots of work but not brain surgery

[/ QUOTE ]

No I mean 4wd. One under the core suport and it;'s a different shape from 2wd. and the the 4wd also has a second crossmember under the engine that also suports the motor mounts.
    On a 2wd there is no second cross meember . The suspension sub assembly acts as the crossmember and the motor mounts sit on it.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On a 2wd there is no second cross meember . The suspension sub assembly acts as the crossmember and the motor mounts sit on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually that is the second crossmember

[ QUOTE ]
    Main frame raills are the same. The front crossmember isn't The 4wd has a second crossmember withe the suspension assembly bolts on and it also cradles the engine

[/ QUOTE ]

the 4wdr suspension DOES NOT bolt to the #2 crossmember
    the #2 supports the engine

I assumed you missed a period between "isn't" and "The" what with the capital 'T' and it not matching the facts with '4wd'

the #1 4wd crossmember has swaybar mounts and the 2wd version does not
    if you want a factory swaybar it can be changed as well

Wes will argue the 2wdr main rails differ in that they have indents to clear suspension arms, but as that doesnt prevent any of the 4wd stuff from bolting on I agree with you they are functionally the same