Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4WOR Ultimate Adventure Truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Jul 6, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm all about rants lately so watch out...

In the latest issue they realize that the monstrous NV271 isn't going to fit in between the framerails of the truck, so they ditch it and go with a FORD 205. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against fords, but as we all know, ford t-cases are driver's side drop. Now, the author goes on to explain why ford cases are usually better than chevy cases from the factory (spline counts, etc.) and how this will save them effort. He then goes on to talk about how they'll now need to use a ford d60 for the correct drop and the rest of the article is about working around this axle with the opposite drop... :screwy: Kudos to them for trying to use the 271, but when they went to the 205, why not just make it easy on yourself and run a chevy version 60?

Next...last issue they revealed that they were going to use a built TH350...why? You have oogobs of money at your disposal, a 400 isn't that much more expensive and they're planning on running 39.5's. I'm sure they have sponsors that build 400's by the boatloads...so they can still pimp their sponsors and have a strong tranny. They state that a 400 and 700 cases are prohibitively longer... :haha: Honestly, out of the three auto's that would easily fit in that truck, I think a TH350 would be the last one I would choose.

Lastly...their engine choice. Once again, I'm being overly picky, but the crate engine they dropped in was like $4900....this was in the sentence after they stated they were on a tight budget. Now really, I'd expect them to either go all out and put in a Ram Jet 502 or an LS1, or put in a fresh TBI motor and make it a true budget build.

Overall, I like 4WOR way better than Four Wheeler, but in this project it seems like they can't decide on a direction. They want to keep it cheap, but aren't doing a very good job, and they want to go big, but I really don't think they're doing a very good job of that either. Flame me if you want, this is my opinion and I think they turned an interesting project into a half built turd.

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dnt have the issue, what kind of truck are they using?

3. mikey_d05

'75 1/2 ton standard cab short box chebby

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

They did say that they were going to use some "bling" and some "not so bling" items so that the readers won't feel like they couldn't build the same truck. This truck is very buildable by any one of us. Unlike the past trucks that cost 40K and then another 40K to modify them. That's probably why you see them going both ways with things.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Whats wrong with a Ford 205 and Dana 60? (being as thats whats sitting in my garage waiting to go in the S10, though I'm using an IFS 241 for now).

High pinion has the obvious advantages of high pinion, and the driver side pumpkin has the advantage of a sight line on it without a spotter. Just my opinion, I know lots of people don't like mixing Ford and Chevy stuff.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Really? I might have to pick up the magazine to check it out. Whats on the front cover?

7. mikey_d05

I don't have a problem mixing in Ford stuff...hell...it's still Dana and New Process. I would run a Ford 60 if I had one...but the author is trying to make it sound like it's much easier and better to run a driver's side pumpkin. When in fact, there are plenty of mods involved. Your S10 was originally driver's side drop so ford pieces are definitely useful there. I think it's cool that they tried to use the 271 to prove it's strong and mix in a little new tech, but when they went old school with the 205 I don't see why they wouldn't use a passenger side piece and skip the hassle of converting it. Like I said, I just wish they could pick a direction. You know all those teenie tiny little paragraphs at the end of stories about things that got screwed up and they had to fix/replace/abandon...? That's why I think it'd just be better to use a passenger side piece.

Steve...The cover says "Lift Your Late-Model" in big orange letters with ford, chevy, and dodge late model lifted pickups on it.

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

alrigt thanks Mike! :bow:

9. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well there are a lot of things that you don't see/ hear about that drives a buildup of a vehicle for a magazine.

They don't typically have gobs of money to spend but they do get either a good deal on parts or free parts and the labor to install them.
    These guys are just trying to build a good truck and not have a bunch of issues. Remember a lot of times the writer is the photo guy and one of the wrench turners as well as doing his normal duties within the mag.
    The Ford axle may have already been built when they discovered that the 271 would not have fit in the frame rails. Cost to retube and change the axle is a bunch.
    Th350 will be just fine for the truck. Short has it's benifits.

Just because it doesn't fit your style or opinion doesn't mean that they don't have good reason for it. Your opinion is fine but realize that they do have reasons for what they do and you might only hear a very small part of the story.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what issue will show all the UA competitors trucks? I want to see wally!

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

UA isn't a competition. Its just this big old ride they go on. lots of highway and lots of trail miles all over the south and midwest if my memory serves me. They build a rig each year to take on it. Last year was the taco, year before was the Avalanche, and the year before that was the Super Duty. Its interesting to see the rigs an dread the stories.

12. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

When they announced that they were going to "keep it cheap" AND use a pricey crate motor, I kind of figured that's how it would go.

If they were going to really do it up cheap, they'd use the motor that came with it, junkyard the tranny and t-case, maybe Ebay some TBI, and spend the money on the axles and tires.

I dont' have my issue yet. Expect follow-up rant LOL

JUST ONCE I would love to see an actual cheap buildup, the way the po folk do.

*side note: I realized today that I have spent a net total of $347 on trucks this year, the rest has been swapped even. That's not bad!*

13. mikey_d05

Yeah, I know I mis-stated the money thing but was too lazy to use the edit button. But, as you stated, they do typically get cheap or free parts and labor. If they are trying to build a good truck and not have a bunch of issues, why don't they just stick with the factory driveline configuration? If the ford axle was half built when they realized the 271 was out, why not just state that? I see no obvious reason for them to pimp Ford 205's since they didn't have a specific specialty shop rebuild it. Yeah, the th350 should hold up, but after using a 1-ton axle set and one of the beefiest light truck t-cases ever...why would you use a th350? I agree, short is good, but we're not talking about Jeeps or Sami's here...a little length doesn't kill, even with the doubler hanging off the back. I'm very sure a lot went into this build that I'll never see or know about...and you're a lot closer to the project than I am...so what gives? You're quite correct, it is all about opinion. If my opinion were fact, I'd have posted in the garage. I'll buy the UA DVD regardless and have a good time watching it too, but I just don't see the reasoning behind their decisions so far.

Yeah, I got a fairly rusty '89 K5 with 120,000 miles, a 700R4 in good shape, and TBI for $1500. They spent over three times that on a crate engine. As previously stated, I wish they'd have picked a direction. A ram jet 502, turbo 400 or NV4500, and a Klune Goliath/Atlas 6.0 would have been really cool to see. A TBI 350 or 454, a th350, and a doubler or NP241 would have been an awesome budget build to see ride out the UA. Either way, the truck is probably done by now, and this is why I have my own personal ride to mod, because in my own ride, my opinion actually does matter.

14. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

This year ORD Truggy is going on the UA. I will probably buy the DVD.

Also on a side note we have seen when they tried to do a cheap truck build up, it doesn't work.

I think maybe 2 of the vehicles they have done out of like 6 or 7 are still running, wheeling them is still questionable :rolleyes:

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah, the cheap truck thing just wasn't happening. Problem after problem, after $$$.

16. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well as we are discovering with the final prep of Wally UA is a whole different cat as far as vehicle is concerned.

I totally agree with the crate motor. Wally had a pretty healthy 468 BB that we probably would have driven two or three more years and a thousand miles from trailer to trail but UA is a don't break down event. Major troubles from a drivetrain part sucks on UA.

Bottom line for the UA is either a vehicle that does pavement well and you tough out the Fourwheeling. Or a vehicle that wheels well and tough out the highway. The common thread is that you don't want major issues with a component that you could have had a better one of.

The Ford axle fits very well in a chevy truck. There is actually more room for the d-shaft on the drivers side than the passengers side. I think that the Ford axle works better than the Chevy for this situation.
    Some of that also comes from what ever the guys building the truck decide they want to do. We were discussing the UA truck in January this year while in Moab with Fred Williams so it is fairly well thought out.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I know it's not a competition, I just didn't know what to call it.
    UA Event or something. I don't know...

18. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My thoughts exactly. Their idea of cheap and mine are two different things.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

They tried it about 5 times, it just didn't work. Everyone ran into problems or crapped out, thus is cheap reality.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cheap works just fine... they just don't know what to do without free super bling parts / labor / fabrication. Also, the cheap way doesn't help their sponsors very much. For example... what if they did the standard ck5 stuff to their chevy.... old used D60, junkyard ff14b... ford shock towers... 52s up front, shack flip / 56s in the rear etc. How much $ has gone to companies that actually advertise in petersens? pretty much zero. That just won't do. Cheap can certainly be done and work just fine, these guys just have no idea how to do it. IMO, the guy in charge of the build up should have joined CK5 and done some forum searching. They would have ended up with a good truck that actually was a budget build. Almost every 1-ton K5 guy here on ck5 built their rig on a tighter budget than the Petersens guys seem to have (especially if you calculated the $ they get in free labor)... and there are some seriously capable trucks 'round these parts.

j