Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x2 into 4x4 ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Superunknown, Mar 29, 2006.

1. The Superunknown

The Superunknown Newbie

I'm considering buying a '70 blazer but it's 2wd. How big of a job is it to convert one into 4wd. Are the frames the same or is it completly diferent up front?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Not even worth the effort, find one that is 4 wheel drive. There will be plenty of other s h i t that will need to be fixed when you get a K5, let alone having to worry about converting it to 4wd.......

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know about 70's, but I helped a buddy do it to a 83 pickup. Not that much work really. We installed it with 52's up front from the getgo, so it wasn't really any more work than just converting a 4x4 to 52's up front. Also, it might be LESS work if you're going crossover, cause you've already got the 2WD box. :D The original crossmember has got to go, but I'm doing that anyway on my 4x4 to get out of the way of the draglink for my crossover. So that's not really additional work either. Slapping the trans/t-case in there was a piece of cake, just like a 4x4. It's not as daunting of a task as everyone makes it out to be.

4. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Not to hijack, but what about converting an IFS 1990 pickup to straight axle?

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well all the 2wd's were IFS, so it's not much different. Ours had framerails that were the same width as the donor 4wd truck, so that made a lot of things pretty simple. Here's a gallery for you to look at. http://krazyk5.com/gallery/82GMCSAS

Last edited: Mar 30, 2006
  6. 72chevydsl

72chevydsl Registered Member

I think it depends on how your blazer is already set up. I dont know about the blazer but most of the 2WD pickups had the trailing arm rear suspension. If you have a complete donor chassis that shouldnt be a problem either.
    I had a 70 C10 I converted to 4wd, nothing to it really, it already had rear leaf springs though. I had a friend who had a 72 4WD running gear I robbed all the crossmembers and front spring hangers off of. The 2WD frame is slightly differnt but everything still bolts up. Something comes through the frame on the 2WD where your rear spring hanger mounts, I think it might have been where the brake lines came through cause I remember buying different front steel brake lines. If you look at your blazer I am sure you will see what I am talking about. If you decide to go this route let me know I can explain how I delt with the rear spring hanger.