Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x2 to 4x4 conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79burb, May 21, 2003.

1. 79burb

79burb Newbie

newbie here I tried the search funtion with no luck so here we go.. I have a 79 burb wanting to put it on a 4x4 frame I have a 75 3/4 truck frame with the snowplow hubs I have measured it they are close on the wheel base so is their any hidden thing I need to be aware of??? <font color="blue"> </font> /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

really don't know,,, but I'm gonna say yes! theres always something thats gonna pop up unexpected. I think it's a proven fact or something /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. bad andy

bad andy 1/2 ton status

i believe suburban frames use the same frame as one of the pickups, probably the regular cab long bed so if thats what u have i think it should work.

4. 79burb

79burb Newbie

Yeah they measured the same but I didn't know if they had all the right bends and body mounts

5. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

NOOOOOOO..
    --
    The 'burban has a 3" shorter wb than a LWB puck-up
    --
    The frame, from the firewall back is different...mounting points etc...
    --
    The rear of the frame, behind the rear axle, comes out at a different angle..
    --
    ALL the running gear will interchange, EXCEPT the drive shaft...
    --
    It would be fairly easy to convert the 2wd frame to 4wd... It only involves grinding off some rivits, drilling holes and using bolts instead...

I have done it both ways, 2wd to 4wd, and 4wd to 2wd...

Your entire 2wd front end comes out with a bunch of bolts, only 2 rivits on the sway bar mount need to be ground..

The 4wd motor mounts need to be installed first, then the front spring purches, the rear shackle hangers and the sway bar mount..very easy...

The transfer case x-member just requires 4 holes drilled in the frame...

If you cannot find a 4x4 burban for a drive shaft,you will have to have it shortened...

The Transmission tunnel, on a 2wheel drive automatic, is lower than a 2wheel drive stick shift, or 4x4, so you may have to cut the floor..some... depending on you trans transfer combo...

The rear axle mounts are the same...
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif