Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 64 suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 64suburban, Feb 9, 2006.

1. 64suburban

64suburban Registered Member

Hello, i'm new to this site, very new, I've probably been on it all of maybe 15 minets now. Any way, I just bought a 75 blazer (parts truck) today that i'm planning on useing to make my 2wheel drive 64 suburban 4 wheel drive. I was wondering what would be the best combination, taking the leaf springs and etc, of the blazer and puting them on the burb, or just putting the burb body on the blazer frame. I belive my blazer has a 104 inch wheel base (correct me if i'm wrong) and my burb is like 115 or 110? Also what I really want to know is that if my burb has the holes pre dirlled for the leaf spring shocks, I know it has holes in it from the factory I just wonder if that's what they are. If anyone know's for shure that would be great...

alot of work ahead
    thanks alot

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
  2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

my burb is 129.5 if that helps? pics of progress are always good too. dont think they had too many 4x4 burbs in 64 so just work with your skills and budget.

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i think you should swap your 4x4 gear from the k5 to under your burb. i could be wrong, but i think you'd have a helluva time getting everything toline up properly and fit by putting the 64 onto the blazer. i know some other dudes on this site have done the 2 to 4 wheel drive swap - using the search function might bring up their threads, which i'm sure would be helpful. i know they posted up a bunch of info, as i read most of their posts about it. wasn't too long ago either. i'd like to see a picture or two of your 64 sometime. cool trucks. what's your goal? if you're going to be running tires larger than 35, you'd be better off to pick up at least 3/4 ton running gear instead of the 1/2 ton k5 gear. good luck.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Best looking burbs on the planet!..

I love the 60-66 Suburban body style the best of all...I haven't seen any converted to 4x4 those years,just a few factory built 4x4's..

think the 2wd frame should accept the 4x4 springs ,if they are anything like the 67-72 frames,and I think they are..you may have control arms and coil springs in the rear instead of leafs,that could present a problem though..nothing you couldn't work around though..just more work..

I was tempted to convert my 79 C10 to a 4x4 using parts off my 74 K20 that was rusted too badly to be roadworthy any longer..if I were able to use its rolling chassis,it would have been feasable..but it was too rotted..I decided taking all the spring hangers off BOTH frames and swapping them,and having to drill a hundred holes to mount everything,pulling out the entire 2wd front end,etc,was way too much work..I could BUY a 4x4 of that vintage cheaper!.and no labor!..or just swap my cab and bed on another 4x4 chassis..I'm selling it instead,need cash more !..

I helped a guy put a 1956 Suburban on a 4x4 chassis from a 73 Suburban many years ago..he felt it was easier than adding all the stuff to the old frame..had to move the body mount perches on the frame to line up with the 56 body,and make a few custom ones from scratch..

You could cut and extend the K5 frame to match the wheelbase on your 64 Burb,but the body mounts would all need to be moved or custom made...its a ton of work either way in your case,but at least its worth doing..a 64 Burb that is 4x4 is rare now,and is worth a lot to the right person who's looking to buy one..my truck is too common to bother in a way!..:crazy:

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I need pics. I would LOVE a burb out of vitage. and I mean
    LOVE
    you're lucky dude, post up some pics.
    thanks,
    James

6. 64suburban

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  7. colbystephens

i'll try searching for those threads at a more convenient time - but i'd be happy to host those pics for you if you email them to me at colbys (at) pdx (dot) edu. i might be wrong, but i think the estimate of the weight of your rig is rather low.

8. diesel4me

too involved??

In your case,it might be easier to just swap a later suburban 4x4 rolling chassis under your 64 Burb..if you have to fix the front of the frame,then take the entire 2wd front end out,install leaf spring hangers on the front,bushing mounts for the rear of the front springs..and all the rear spring hangers are different on a 4x4,they are longer than 2wd's..

(not that it matters on your 64,your going to have to lose the coil spring rear, and control arms anyway--they are hard to find and costly,so dont junk them,old 60-66 GM truck restorers are always looking for them--I could use 2 of them myself,I have a 62 GMC pickup frame ,3/4 ton with an eaton rear end made into a trailer,that has rotted control arms!..but I might swap over to leafs instead..coil sprung trailers bounce too much..

Dont forget you'll then need a 4x4 tranny and transfer case,or add a divorced style transfer case instead..and a front differential..thats a LOT of work,where as another "rolling chassis" from a later Burb or maybe even a 8' bed pickup might be the same wheelbase,and you'd gain power steering,and power disk brakes too..

I'd look for an 8 lug 3/4 ton rotbox with a decent frame and running gear-I see them being crushed often,after failing to bring even 500 bucks at auction!...all you'd need to do was add or move body mounts as needed on the frame,and to ensure the newer frame follows the countour of the 64's close enough to look decent when its done,and not look like its on stilts with body lift blocks everywhere..I've seen 2 like yours converted,one guy used a 71 K20 Suburban chassis,and the other was a 74 Suburban chassis..both guys said it was the cheapest and easiest way to go..:crazy:

9. 64suburban

Thanks, that would be cool. I'll try and get's some picks of it this weekend. I also have the 63 chevy shop manual and 64 supliment for the truck, I can check it and see what that says about the weight. I looked at it along time ago, I'll just check it again, it's at my house where the truck is. I hope I can use thoughs leaf springs, that would be just one less thing I'll have to spend money on.

thanks,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you think I really need 3/4 tons? I was planning on useing the 1/2 tons on my 75 blazer parts truck, i'm not planning to have wheels over 35 inches. I'm shure before it's over I'll have spent a couple of thousand $, but I don't want to go to far and get over my head. Also wouldn't the 3/4 tons use more gas. Even I, when I was looking at engine combinations looked at mild cams and such, but for the kind of use i'm planning to put the burb through it's not practical. A buddy of mine has a 64 2wd pick up and he has went that route, it's not back on the road yet, but it's will be a gas hog.

thanks,

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  10. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok, where to begin. If you want to swap frames, the K-5 isn't gonna work, wheelbase is too short. Burban's have the same wheelbase as a shortbox truck. You can almost bolt in the crossmember off the K-5. Think you have to drill a couple holes. The frames are close to the same width, so you could use the tran, case, and crossmembers and drill some holes in the 64 frame. The rear is coil, but wouldnt' be hard to mount some hangers and springs. I have a factory 4wd 62 Suburban, and when I bought it, it has 35s on it. Clears no prob, but then I have a mother nature lift too. 1/2 ton axles will be fine for 35s long as your not really beating it. Everybody wanted me to take the drivetrain from my 89 and put it in the burban. (TBI 454, TH400, 205, Dana 60, 14FF and then was 40" mudders). I want to drive this, not wheel it. You have just about all the parts you need off the K-5, and a trip to the junkyard for the stuff you don't have.

11. 64suburban

leaf springs

I hope I have everything I need, at least the major parts anyway. I got on the specs part of this web site and looked at the weight of the 75 blazer. I know my suburban is significantly heavier, than the blazer, am I going to need all new leaf springs,? or could I maybe add a spring, or springs,? I know my friends Dad added some springs to a trailer he had in order to beef it up for heavier loads. Just wondering.

Thanks,

12. colbystephens

Here's the pics of 64suburban's rig.

ok. he emailed me the pics, so i'm hosting them for him. enjoy!

burb1.JPG

burb2.JPG

burb3.JPG

burb4.JPG

burb5.JPG

13. colbystephens

here's more.

burb6.JPG

burb7.JPG

burb8.JPG

burb9.JPG

burb10.JPG

14. 64suburban

Story

Once again, thanks for hosting the pics. I know there not much to look at. So here is a short story to the best of my knowledge of how all of it happened. It goes like something like this. One day one I was a small kid ridding in the back of my Dad’s late 70's bronco. I saw a panel truck sitting in the woods. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I knew I liked it! Man did I like that! Ironically it was sitting on Uncle Roberts old property and my aunt Tootsie still owned the land (yes, I’m from and live in the South). As I grew up I loved panel turcks, any and all panel trucks. When I was maybe about 12, 14, 16, I’m not exactly sure, I was watching an old John Wane film with my Dad. They was an air strip and an ambulance pulled up. It was a sixties panel truck. I had always liked the older panel trucks I didn't even know about these kind!!!!! So, man I really liked it, I like the older ones of course. But these were unique. Years and years later, about almost two years ago, I was looking in the local traders post, like I usually do. I've been buying them for years, I was looking for a boat, and would buy the boat and bike one. Every once in a while I might buy the car one, and very really I would buy the truck trader. So I was looking through the truck trader, and there it was, 1964 Chevy carryall. It was a carryall suburban, I had seen the panel truck version on TV when I was a lot younger, but I had never seen the suburban models before that I knew of. I was, I ... can't describe, man, WOW! I jumped, and I really mean Jumped right out of the chair and ran, and I actually ran to the phone. I called and the man and the man's wife answered the phone. (most of the time when you call about something no one answers or it's already sold, people buy the trader early on Friday and nab the deals before anyone else has the chance, or at least I think they do) I talked to her for a minuet asked about this and that, then I told her I would take it and to hold it for me. She said, well there other people coming to looked at it today and pretty much the first person to get here with the money gets it. I got the directions, said goodbye, flew out the door ran to the car, NASCARed it to the bank and headed down the road with the directions she gave me. Got lost, got directions from post man, through my mind the entire time I could see someone shaking the mans hand, after the purchase, I thought that I would pull up and see someone else closing the deal. Then, there it was I saw it from down the road, all man!, Oh no, there is a brand new truck in the driveway and an older truck that's probably the owners, and look there is someone close to the truck, it's sold. I pull up, get out, walk up to it. A man in the yard says, there it is. All man it's not sold! walk around it a few times, ouch, that sides messed up. I have to have it though! Talked to the guy a while, then told him I would get it. Sat down with the guy did paper work, handed the man 300 dollars! and the truck was mine. It turns out that the truck had been put in the traders post the week before, but the owner had been on vacation and this was the first he had answered any calls and had people wanting to come look at it that day. I picked it up the next day with my friend, his Dad his trailer and a heavy duty winch. Talked to the previous owner and he said two other people came after I left wanting to buy it and I just got there first with the money. He said they were mad too! I would have been very very disappointed if it had been sold before I got there. Since I got it, I have weighed out different options on how to restore it. I even went as far as to just look for one in better condition. Spent thirteen hundred, yes $1,300 dollars renting a truck and trailer driving down to Florida to buy a 66 suburban with fact ac fact 4x4, the list just went on and on, had two pictures of it, guy said it had 4 rust places on the truck. I was going to pay 4,800 dollars for the truck, had cash in hand! Pulled up, with in just one minuet I knew I wasn't going to get it. Four rust spots?! There were four hundred rust spots, rust through holes on the front fascia alone not including the hood! As for the rest of the truck. Junk total junk. Told me there was no bondo on the phone. The first thing he said to me when I got there was I would have it media blasted to see where all the rust and bondo is! He even took a pneumatic die grinder to the body and sanded some of the paint and said look no bondo, no bondo, no bondo, where there is a little bondo here but I didn't lie to you though. Yeah right, be ware of Michael Bursa from Largo Florida, his perception of vehicle condition could only be described as extremely extremely extremely exaggerated, but that trip and experience is a whole different story. As for my truck it's rougher than a night in jail as one old boy once said. It's got blocks on the springs that lift it up just a little. It's been off-road already from what I was told. It had a winch on the front and was used to go deer hunting. The guy I bought it from bought it from his brother in law, but he had it for 7 years tinkered with it never got it running, I could go on and on about that situation. (A shop manuel shows you how to do everything to a truck except how to undo tinkering!) How ever it does have an engine and battery in it and it did turn over. I was expecting it not to even have an engine. The back glass is missing so is on of the slider glass. Though it does have the option rear sliding glass witch I love. It has no original seats. There are some older seats in the rear, but I think they actually came out of a sixties panel truck, the suburban and panel truck seats were different I believe. There is plenty of rust all they way around. The back doors shut perfect. I need to buy another parts truck and get a good front clip for the whole truck. It needs every thing pretty much. But on the bright side, if it were really nice me and my Dad would not have the heart to convert it to four wheel drive. I bought my Blazer, the week before I found this site and started posting. I was searching online and was looking for information for it and found what I was looking for. I bought the blazer out of the traders post too. I seen it and decided to call the guy. He said, you know I didn't think I would get any calls till Friday, that's when it's suppose to be in the trader. However I had seen it online before the magazine had come out. I went and looked at it Thursday before the trader came out. Talked him down a little on the price handed the guy four hundred and fifty dollars and became the new owner of a 1975 k5 blazer. He advertised it as a rolling chassis, it was a complete truck with engine. He said it was blown, I wasn't really interested in the engine at the time of purchase, but maybe it's rebuild able. I don’t think he was very mechanically inclined. Not to say that I am, I’m just as humble as my suburban when it comes to know how and specs and pretty much everything else, but I'm surrounded buy people that can help me out down here and even online. Well anyways I tried to make it short but I guess I didn't do to good of a job. Thanks again for offering to host the pictures. I'm going to post this message to K5 too, so that my not so short story could be heard.

Thanks once again

15. diesel4me

Roll up your sleeves!!..

Its going to take tons of work to restore it,but it will be worth it once its all said and done..you did pretty good getting it for 300 bucks,I've seen simiar trucks in junkyards here that were battered by the forkloader sell for much more..there was a 66 4x4 Suburban in one local junkyard,but its gone now..it was there for many years,with other vehicles plopped onto its roof,but was all there,and was stuffed with extra axles and transfer cases and SM465 trannys..when the price of scrap went up here,nearly EVERY older truck than an 89 went right to the crusher..

If your lucky enough to ever see a 4x4 version of yours for less than a grand,I'd say buy it quickly..they are like hens teeth here!..I recently saw a 64 GMC 4x4 in a friends yard I havent visited for about a year..said his son bought it from the towns park department(he's an employee)..and he plans to restore it..he said the son also had 3 other 2wd trucks in the yard,but he scrapped them after robbing all the good doors and hoods and other stuff off them..you do see a few pickups here and there,but those year suburbans are scarce now..

I love the old Suburbans like yours..my friend had a 66 C10 Suburban with a 292 3 speed,it had a tailgate...we used to go to VT fishing in it a lot..he also had a 62 C30 PANEL Suburban ,with BARN doors,that had a 235 straight six motor,and a rare Clark 5 speed tranny and torsion bar suspension..it never was put on the road when I hung out with him though..it had a 61 hood with the huge "eyebrows",with the chevy emblems in them..I loved that truck!!..My older brother also had a 66 C10 Suburban with a 283,TH400,and it had a tailgate ,not the barn doors,which I prefer much more than a tailgate..

I think the panel truck versions were THE best looking GM trucks made,the 56-60 and 60-66 were the coolest ones,and the 67-72 ones were more boxy,but still were pretty rugged looking..I wish they made a panel version of the 73-87 style burbs..I've seen a few at truck shows that were custom made,and they looked really nice..

I remeber seeing an ambulance like your truck on that show "Emergency" that was on in the 70's,with "Gauge and Desoto",the 2 fireman from Los Angeles..that suburban might have been the one you saw in the John Wayne movie too!..there might be a lot more of them left in LA,and out west,than there is here I bet.
    :crazy:

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

that has so much potential!! do it man it would be sweet!

17. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

should be a fun project. im really digging the trailer hitch, was that a factory item?

18. 64suburban

trailer hitch

No, the trailer hitch is definitly not factory. It use to have a winch on the front, though I never saw it on there I can only imagine that it was mounted in a similar way. Me and Dad were thinking of putting a drawtie on the back of it, but the hitch is however very stable and useable the way it is.

19. 64suburban

blazer

Went to go get the blazer yesterday. Didn't happen, brought a tow bar when I should have brought a trailer. Dad bought a tow bar off of ebay a while back, yesterday he bought tow lights from Uhal $30 bucks, then we stoped at a mom and pop hardware store and he paid like $75 something dollars for two 6 feet sections of chain, 4 hooks and 4 turnbukles. I wonder if that was too much. Oh well.

20. colbystephens

that sux. isn't that quite some distance from your place? why were you not able to tow it?