Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 actuator

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by vicar4437, May 10, 2000.

1. vicar4437

vicar4437 Registered Member

May 10, 2000
    i read that there is a 4x4 HEAT actuator?!!? i was told im wrong and laughed at. the orginal source of my info, a member at "contagious offroad" out in san jose, calif. told me this is true. what is the truth on this deal? any heat 4x4 actuators on any chevies? at all? they told me there is a mechanical replacement for these, as they are faulty, and it really sux when you expect the 4X to be engaged after you return to your vehicle after a while and it doesnt work.
    thanx much, jeff
  2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Feb 18, 2000
    On the later model Blazers there is an electric actuator, that doesn't function well in extreme cold situations, aka snow, then there's the issue that if it gets too wet it likes to disengage, this is not good while you're wheeling.
    This actuator is located on your front differential and operates your "automatic" hubs.
    htere is a company that has created a manual cable system that allows you to lock the hubs in any time you want to or if yo want to use low range without having the hubs in it gives you that option too.
    the unit is called POSI-LOK and it's gotten good reviews from all the 4x rags.

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]
  3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Feb 24, 2000
    The '88 and newer pickups, and the '92 and newer Blazers, Subs, and Tahoes used a thermal (heat) actuator which activates a slide collar type setup in the front end of the vehicle which locks in four wheel drive. I have heard many people complain about how long it takes to engage, especially when cold.
    However, while this system serves the same purpose as locking hubs, these vehicles are not equipped with any type of automatic locking hubs.