Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 Axle Noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MasterChief, Jun 9, 2001.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief Newbie

84 M1009 CUCV Blazer w/6.2

Hi all, I'm having a heck of a problem when I engage the 4 wheel drive. I'm in the Navy and this all started many months back when I was stationed on Guam. I had been 4 wheeling many times out in the jungle with no problems, then one day the transmission goes out. I had it rebuilt locally and when I got it back, I did a few "improvements", one of which was to change the stock hubs to Milemarker hubs. They installed fine, but I did not get to go 4 wheeling again before I had to ship my rig on to my next duty station - Bahrain. It sat outside the shipping warehouse in the 125 degree plus heat in Bahrain for about 6 months before I finally arrived. Once I was fully checked in and had the family and household in order, I took the Blazer out to the local desert here to play a bit. Thats when I first noticed the problem. I engage the hubs, put the transfer case in 4 high/4 low, then as I tool about I could clearly hear a popping/bumping sound from the front axle. My first thought was the u-joints, and one was going bad anyway, so I had all 7 replaced. I tried to 4 wheel again and got the same sounds. I then thought that maybe I had installed the MileMarker hubs wrong, so I took them off, checked all the parts inside the hubs, saw that everything seemed to slide in and out correctly, and reassembled them. I did note that when I took the right side off, the sliding gear in the hub would not slide in at all. I removed the hub and re-oriented the gear teeth between the hub/slider/center gear and then it lined up correctly and seemed to work fine. I reassembled/reinstalled it and tried the 4 wheeling again, same problem, same noise. It gets loud when I turn and seems to go away when I go straight. It sounds like the wheels are not synchronized or something and the axle shaft is stressing, then popping the wheel fwd to catch-up with the other wheel. Needless to say I took these tests pretty slow and easy, but am left wondering:
    1. The 4 wheel drive worked fine before the trans overhaul and the hub change.
    2. Could the hubs be the problem, even though they seem to be engaging the hub slide gear correctly?
    3. Maybe the trans guy mis-aligned something when he took the trans and transfer case out to overhaul the transmission. Could he have mis-installed the transfer case?
    4. Could an axle be twisted somehow?
    Sorry this was so long but being without the 4x4 option sucks here in Bahrain. Anyone with any ideas on what to check and what to fix, please let me know.

Thanks,
    MNCM(SW) Jerry Williams
    Command Master Chief
    USS Cardinal (MHC-60)
    Bahrain, Arabian Gulf

2. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Need a few more details just to enlighten us more. What is the tranny? What is the transfer case? What are the gear ratios front and rear?

Have you tried tightening the front u-bolts? I had a similar problem on pavement tho. Tight the piss outta the front u-bolts. Might help.

78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bowtiecrawler.com>http://www.bowtiecrawler.com</A>

3. MasterChief

MasterChief Newbie

More details: Transmission: TH400
    Transfer Case: NP208
    Gears: Not Sure

Jerry

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Possibly a hub is ratcheting, barring that, I would venture to say that the trans/transfer case aren't mated properly.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.coloradok5.com>http://pugsley.coloradok5.com</A>

5. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hey chief, i know this may be out there, but put the front on jackstands, lock the hubs and turn the front d-shaft by hand (w/the t-case in 2 hi) have your wife or whoever is around to turn the steering wheel back and forth while you are turning it.
    if that checks out, unlock the hubs and drive around the block in 4 hi. this will spin everything but wont be applying power to the front wheels. i am not sure what these checks are checking, but it may be helpful in narrowing down the problem.

one other note, guam is humid and baharin is dry, and since the truck sat so long, a little moisture could of corroded the ring and pinion and spider gears. the reason the back is isnt doing it is because they had a nice coat of lube all over them before it was parked and the moisture mixed with the fluid-like it was supposed too.

sorry i dont have any "for sure answers" but hopefully you will be able to pin point and repair the problem.

good luck rob

AIRBORNE!!