Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 camber adjustment

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaptr2, Jan 2, 2003.

1. chaptr2

chaptr2 Registered Member

I was looking at the front of my blazer and noticed that the bottom part of the tire on the passenger side was pointing out. Is there a way to fix this? Is this adjustable? Does this mean I need an alignment or do I need to replace my ball joints and if so is there a specific type of ball joint that I would need?

Can I adjust the ball joints for camber or do they need to be replaced. Has anyone adjusted camber on a 4 wheel drive before? Can this be done and if so what steps do I need to take.

I have already replaced the bearings and seal for the front end, so that is not the case.

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Lift the side that has the bad camber just high enough to get the tire off the ground. Use a pry bar between the ground and the tire and watch you ball joints then find some place to pry to check the upper joint. The only other thing I can think of is your axle tube might be bent.

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

It's a solid axle, so if it's out then you've got something bent or worn out..

4. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Check your wheel bearings.
    Colin

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

balljoints need replaced.this is the same problem i have.my tires are wearing out way fast on the inside of each side in the front.30 years is a long time to have the same stock ball joints.i can take my wheel when its off the ground and wiggle my ball joints up and down.

6. chaptr2

Thanks I realize there is something worn out or bent. I have already changed my bearings and it didn't help.

chulisohombre have you replaced your ball joints yet or are you in the same boat as me? I have been driving on these for awhile now and they need to be fixed.

I guess to answer my own question, I will just dig in and find out what is wrong.

I would still like someones advise who has seen this before.

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Doing the ball-joints isn't all that hard but does require some tools that most people don't have. One is a 4-prong socket for the ball joint preload adjuster (Most auto parts stores can order this in...if they can get a clue what you are talking about). I made my own because no one around here had one. I made it out of a impact socket with a cut off wheel in my die grinder. The other tool is just a 1-5/16" socket. It will be 3/4" drive and most people don't have anything that big.

You will have to take the spindles off and pull the axle shafts out. Then you can get the knuckle off (use a pickle fork or a BFH). Then take the knuckles to a shop and have them press out the old ball joints and the new ones in. The rest is just putting it back together.

I would replace the needle bearing in the spindle along with the rest of the seals back there (they all come in 1 kit CR# BK1)

If you have any other questions you can pm or email me.

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got my new ball joints but have not done them yet.i tried but didnt have a big enuf hammer.my friend from work is going to help me in a couple of weeks.if you go to national auto parts,they will let you borrow the tool for a day with a major credit card.i got the tool but i couldnt pop the ball joints out themselves because of the hammer situation.im going to buy a 10 pound sledge for when i try and do them again.also the ball joints were only 78 dollars for all 4 at national parts store.they were 18 dollars apiece.

9. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

The OTC part# for the ball joint socket is 7080. If something is bent there is a company called Specialty Products that makes off-set adjusting nuts for D44s. http://www.specprod.com/.

10. chaptr2

Triaged Thank you for that helpful information. That is the info I need if I am going to do the ball joints.

Poff thank you for that website. I have booked marked it for future reference. I will find out if I need them or not this Friday.

chulisohombre keep me and the board posted if and when you changed your ball joints. Thanks again.

I am not a fan of having people look or touch my trucks, but I am taking it in so I can have someone assess the problems in my front end. That way I can fix my own problem without making a headache for myself.

Chap /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif