Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 camshafts, ever try?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Flipper, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Got camshafts in my trucks are mosty hot rod type high lift types, now realize low end is where it's at.
    I've seen summit and jegs catalogs with 4x4 cams. Anybody use em? Happy? I think one brand was Comp. Cams.
    Thanks-Flip
    (p.s.- small block 400)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I did my cam 2 years ago I called comp cams up and gave them all the spec on my truck and what I mainly use it for. They recommended a 260HE cam. I've got a 4 speed so low end grunt is what I really need or it just bogs, and this cam seems to work really well for my truck and what I do with it. I'm sure not every "phone tech" they have is competent but I had a good experience with them.[​IMG]
    Now they have the 'Extreme energy' cams, and they are supposed to be even better.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I'm running the Comp Cams Extreme Energy cam and love the throttle response and low end power. (Comp Cams # 12-235-2). Has a good idle and all the components the rely on vacuum (power brakes, tranny modulator, etc) still work fine. I built the engine for the off idle to 5000 rpm range. I'm running 3.08 gears in the axles for now but will change later. Running on the highway, hills dont phase it at 65 mph indicated and turning 2750 rpm. With the exception of the Manley SS valves, Comp Cams runs the valve train. Also, using the 1.52 ratio roller rockers. You can cheat the duration factor a little more by changing to 1.60 ratio rockers but then you'll have to check valve to piston clearance just to be safe. This is not considered a radical lift cam. Running KB flat top pistons with closed chambered heads. Even at moderate speeds, no hesitation what so ever, throttle response is excellent (Q-Jet carb).