Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 conversion poll #2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yellowK20, May 13, 2003.

1. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll try this again .....I have a 69 C-10 2-wheel drive "strret rod" built 383 sm465 12-bolt with 4.10's 315-70x15'in back 265-70x15's in front It's lowered 2 inches in the front none in the rer so it has quite a rake to it It's fun the way it is but it has manual drums all the way around and no powersteering so stopping is a scary propisition at best I'm looking at about 500 bucks to add power disc brakes and redo the front end I have every part needed to convert this truck to 4-wheeldrive and I have the abilities to perform the the work I'm not planning any super trick offroad mods just a 6" suspension lift 2" body (to clear the tranfer case )And 35-37 inch MT/R's And MAYBE a built up 454 .The truck runs 12.72 in the 1/4 so it's well on it's way to being a fast pavement cruiser right now I'm really on the fence on this one guys I'm looking for oppions/suggestions on what to do I really like the truck the way it is BUT I have always wanted a 67-72 longbed 4x4 witha 4-speed but I could never afford one thanks for being patient with me guys <FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1052848847yellowK20">

convert to 4x4 or stay with 2x4
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />convert to 4x4
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />stay 2x4
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

doesn't a 69 2wd have a coil sprung rear? Not sure how you would plan on lifting the rear then. If its that fast i would convert to disc brakes and stick with it the way it is.

3. yellowK20

Some had coils some had leaves I'm gonna flip the spring perches around on top the axle and mount the axle under the trailing arms instead of on top .....or I have the leaf spring stuff I could put on also /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> A 465 is the LAST tranny I would want in a street rod, so if you're going to keep it on the street I would swap that... I'd go for the 4x4 conversion anyways though. </font>

5. yellowK20

thanx's Yeah the 4-speed sucks for going fast ..but I've gotten pretty good at shifting it fast If I keep it 2-wheel I'll swap it for a borg-warner T-10

6. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

Why would you get rid of Coils? I think you should use the stock coil mounts, but get bigger coils, and run coils in front aswell. It would be badarse.

Go 4wd - that's what I voted /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. yellowK20

I thought about that then I thought about going with a 4-link with coilovers but it would take to long and is just to much stuff for a DD pickup

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

is it a gmc or chevy i ask for the rear if coil i think its chevy and leaf spring gmc is that right??

i like any 4x4 70 truck but stay with the 4x2 its a lot of time and $$$$

9. yellowK20

Actually you could order either truck either way most GMC came with leaf but you could order the coil sprung rearend the chevys mostly came with coils but could be ordered with leafs all the holes are there for both setups /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Would you actually wheel it if you do the conversion or will it be a pavement pounder? I say this because I would think twice about screwin' up that classic sheetmetal on the trail. I would love to have a 67-72 4x4 but I don't think it would be as much fun as the K5 since I wouldn't want to trim fenders, go on square-peg-in-circle-hole type trails or just beat on it like I do the dime-a-dozen K5 that's currently in my possession... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. yellowK20

I'd play in the mud and the sand but no hard core rockkrawlin'

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I am in the middle of doing a 2wd to 4x4 conversion on a 1966 GMC right now. The front suspension you need to make brackets to hold the leaf springs in place at the front of the frame. I made up some weld on brackets using the dimensions in Petersons 4 wheel &amp; offroad magazine (they did a conversion on a 64 chevy pick up with coil spring rear axle).

I also have the magazine covering what they did on the 64 chevy. Using 73-87 GM 4" front lift springs and fliping a Corp 14 bolt under the trailing arms they fit 37" tires under the truck with plenty of clearance.

Your frame is very close to the 63-66 years (in fact many parts are interchangeable). So I would go for the 4x4 conversion. PM me and I can get you a set of brackets for the front leaf springs too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I had a welder friend of mine make them up and he has plenty of material left to make another set or two.

Stephan at ORD sells a weld on rear shackle mount that Petersons mag used for the rear of the front springs too. I think they are $85 with HD extended shackles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Before:
    [​IMG]

During the conversion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More Pics here

13. yellowK20

thanks I appreciate the offer I have a 71 suburban 4x4 frame that I plan on robbing all the brakets off of cool project how tall are you going ????I think I'll call ord on the shackles That sounds like a good price /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

This truck will only be on 33" tires so I think stock 73-87 springs will work very well. The pics above I have 31 x 10.50 x 16.5 tires on it now. But the 900# 351 V6 will probably weight the front down quite a bit along with the cab, sheetmetal, tranny... But it is so much easier to work on the frame with out everything else in the way.

15. yellowK20

Cool, I'm runnin' 4.10's so I think I.ll run 35" or 37" for the "Rubber overdrive" I'll be runnin' a 4-speed also So I'll have granny for the rough stuff I have a set of 6" supelift springs that I paln on using If I do this swap /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif