Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 conversion ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jan 7, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

in swapping a 2wd to a 4x4 is the 4x4 crossmember different from a 2wd one? also is it in a different location? currently my truck has a 350/400 setup. i would like to change to a 454/400/205 setup. any info is much apreciated. :waytogo:

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

All of the 2wd crossmembers I have seen are different than the 4x4 crossmembers. The 2wd ones are double plated on the bottom and have one small open area to access the nut for the tranny mount and sits on top of the frame rail. The 4x4 crossmember mounts a little farther back than the 2wd beacause it uses the adapter for the mounting and it mounts to the bottom of the frame and drops down a bit.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Here is my 2wd crossmember. You can see how it mounts on top of the framerail and the other end of it wraps up around the bottom of the framerail. The transmission mounting point is probably 4" higher than a 4wd crossmember.

[​IMG]

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

nice pic!! :waytogo: thats obviously a divorced xfer case setup :grin: cool stuff. thats definately an option. but i thik for me getting a 400/205 and xmember and locating it where it needs to go will be easier for me. divorced ones are cool as heck though!!:D