Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 Conversion?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerhunter, Feb 7, 2005.

1. blazerhunter

blazerhunter Registered Member

Hi I am thinking about buying a 72 Suburban 2wd but want to convert it to 4x4 and was wondering what is needed and has to be done????

I want to lift it around 8 inches on 36'' tires with 4.88 's

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

one expensive can of worms... You will spend alot more converting it than you would just buying a 4x4 that came like that from the factory.

I'd suggest looking for the same rig in 4x4. Theres plenty of em around.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its like building it from scratch!!

It can be done,but its a hell of a lot of work!--and you'll need either another 4x4 suburban or pickup truck the same vintage to do it,it would be easier to drop a 2wd burb on a 4wd frame if you could find one(or just fix the 4x4 burb!),but still not a cake walk..

You would have either change frames,or bolt all the front spring hangers and shakle bushings and crossmembers on the 2wd frame,after removing the entire front suspesion of the 2wd,and everything on both frames are rivited not bolted--then you need the transfer case,tranny,driveshafts,steering box,rear spring hangers(4x4 and 2wd not the same!),some 1/2 ton burbs may have coil springs in the rear,I dont think you can convert those to leaf springs or 4wd....you might need a body lift or cab modifications to clear the transfer case on a 2wd body,and this is just the short list of things you'd have to change--still feel like its worth it?????:crazy:

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

send me your email address and i will send you some pics of 1 done with 44 frt and 38 TSLs on it with the coil spring frt.