Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 doesnt engage on 2000 Z71

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Aug 4, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a 2000 Z71 with the push button 4wd. Sometimes it engages, some times it doesnt. You press the button for 4 hi, it blinks and then kicks back into 2wd.

I havent looked at it yet. Just tryin to get a heads up on what to look for.

Thanks.

2. kwissman

kwissman 1/2 ton status

I had a problem with mine and the switch on the dash was bad. I is apparently common problem. The 4x4 Service lite would come on randomly. It could get stuck in 4x4.

Also look at the actuator in the front end. The Xfer is always engaged, the 4x4 is engaged by an actuator in the front diff.

3. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Registered Member

As stated the most common problem is the switches.
    There is also bulletins for reprograming,for this problem and service 4x4 lights.
    Dealer can tell you if your truck is applicable for reprogram,but more likley the switch.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Could also be an encoder motor problem. There is a range sensor to tell the TCCM (transfer case control module) where the shift fork is. If it doesn't read, it can't/won't shift because it doesn't know where it is.

But x3 on the switch. Known bad problems.

Why couldn't they use a lever?

5. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

Because that'd make too much sense. Don't look now, the '07s have an actual KNOB on the left dash by the headlight switch.