Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

4x4 engage/disengage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by walt88, Nov 19, 2000.

1. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but after i disengage 4x4 and goto 2wd my truck does a quick hop every few feet. Then in drive it makes this chain sound. I have to put it to 4x4, then go back to 2wd to get it to stop making that sound. Someone one tell me how EXACTLY to engage/disengage properly. Its an '88 auto so it has the np208.

Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you're going from 4 lo to 2 hi, you need to come to a complete stop, put it in park or nuetral and shift the T-case lever. Then back up about 10 feet or so to make sure it is dis-engaged.
    With my old 208 and manual hubs, if I went from 4 hi or lo into 2 hi, I had to back up a bit before I could unlock the hubs. If you have auto hubs, backing up will also help.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Usually, you have to back up 10 feet, but on mine I have to back up more for some reason.

90K5